What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

Comment posted by Dunsany on Jul 22, 20:58:

I dislike getting into metaethics on blogs or other informal forums because the subject is so complicated, but I'll try to address some of the issues you've raised without getting into any of the real complexity. The other reason I dislike talking about metaethics is that I'm not really an expert on that branch of philosophy, so I'm not sure if what I say will be comprehensible. Keep that in mind. "ut I believe that for a reason: what we mean by a moral code is a frame work of statements that proclaim w ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Jul 22, 18:46:

I believe that the satisfaction of human preferences and desires is good. That does not mean it is the only thing I value or that there are no side-constraints on our behavior. You seem to think that believing happiness is good means you have to believe that people can do anything they want that makes them happy. I don't agree with that, I just don't see a problem with altering your physical body in ways that please you. Additionally, that sort of morality would not be a kind of "teleology." It seems you do ... [More]

Will Jonah Come Again to Nineveh?

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 16:43:

Thanks for this post, Jeff. Having opposed the second Iraq war, I struggle with not saying, "I told you so" now to all who supported it. And the thing is that I didn't oppose it out of any general squeamishness about war, much less outright pacifism, but out of questions about unintended consequences and nation-building. The world of foreign policy is and always has been a mess, but as you imply here, the mess won't be made any less messy if we put on rosy glasses about the Muslim Middle East's desire and c ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 16:30:

What about someone who is born intersex? One would have to define that, which is a whole can of worms in itself. Such rare conditions are often simply used by the overall transgender movement (which is only loosely connected to any such conditions, if at all) as a kind of "wedge" to confuse. True hermaphroditism, as opposed to a disorder involving clear underlying genetic gender combined with ambiguous or opposite-gender external genital appearance, is rare. In the extremely unlikely event that a Christian ... [More]

Comment posted by Dunsany on Jul 22, 16:15:

>But aside from transgenderism, I was originally talking about homosexuals who don't want to alter their bodies but do have sexual desires towards the same sex. I was saying that there are issues about housing in dormitory settings at schools that have sex-segregated dorms and, in particular, that *if* there is a rationale at such a school for having sex-segregated dorms (which presumably school officials and parents and students agree that there is), then that same rationale will apply, mutatis mutandis, t ... [More]

Will Jonah Come Again to Nineveh?

Comment posted by DeGaulle on Jul 22, 12:44:

P.S.: Actually, I'm Irish, but have a fondness for that old Frenchman. Certainly it is impossible to know how to prudently deal with so much evil in the world, but the current dictator in Egypt seems relatively successful. ... [More]

Will Jonah Come Again to Nineveh?

Comment posted by DeGaulle on Jul 22, 12:39:

Please forgive my intemperate second post. I was angry, frustrated and exasperated over the fate of our Christian brothers and sisters in the Middle East, and lashed out at your country, the one I have always had the highest hopes of in terms of policing the world and which has lately so disappointed me. Of course, the US represents the best of things and some of the worst of them. Let us think of these Christian refugees in our prayers as they struggle through the Iraqi summer heat with perhaps nothing mor ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 09:53:

I don't agree with that, I just don't see a problem with altering your physical body in ways that please you. Even from a utilitarian point of view, transgenderism hasn't been very successful at making people happy. But aside from transgenderism, I was originally talking about homosexuals who don't want to alter their bodies but do have sexual desires towards the same sex. I was saying that there are issues about housing in dormitory settings at schools that have sex-segregated dorms and, in particular, t ... [More]

Comment posted by Dunsany on Jul 22, 09:21:

Tony, Based on past comments I highly doubt you lack the scientific training to evaluate what is plausible or implausible when it comes to stuff like this. You're scientifically illiterate. >In order to really "change" your sex, you would have to both change the *current* physical / hormonal / chemical basis of successful sex identity, and also change the pathway structures in the brain and all of the psychological basis for the sexual identity as well. I don't know of any plausible science fiction that ... [More]

Will Jonah Come Again to Nineveh?

Comment posted by Tony on Jul 22, 04:59:

It is also true that while what we are seeing is certainly a great evil, that alone neither tells us whether the evil we are seeing is worse than what we would have seen in the past 11 years without addressing the evil of Saddam, nor does it tell us what will be the outcome in the long run. It is often the case, and is a constant argument that evil men use, that we should "leave things alone" lest we provide opportunity for a greater evil. But SOMETIMES we must confront evil, face it down and say no. S ... [More]

Will Jonah Come Again to Nineveh?

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Jul 21, 21:19:

DeGaulle, I must say that I was hoping to shake things up a bit with this post and your first two comments (at least the one from 7:02 PM) didn't disappoint! Thanks for the praise of this website, but I'd have you remember that it was the "blundering, aborting, sodomising US of A" that was crucial in defeating the godless evil of the Soviet Union. And while I do indeed agree with the late, great Pope John Paul II regarding tyrants, I think it is also worth pondering when and in what circumstances it mi ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Jul 21, 19:21:

Dunsany, as far as I can see, you are confirming my point: according to the fringe, there is no reason for thinking the human world fundamentally consists of only 2 or 4 or 10 genders. There are clear biological differences between men and women. Some liberals deny this, but they are part of a radical fringe. Most sane and honest psychologists also admit that there are clear psychological differences between the sexes. Many liberals deny this, but they are part of a radical fringe. It is entirely ... [More]

Comment posted by Phil on Jul 21, 19:07:

Simply count the number of kids typical traditional conservatives have, who then predominently mate with other traditionalists who then produce higher than replacement birth rates. And the secularists aren't even reproducing at replacement level. Alas, political and religious worldviews aren't 100% hereditary. My parents were both traditional conservatives, and I am probably the least liberal of my many siblings. ... [More]

Will Jonah Come Again to Nineveh?

Comment posted by DeGaulle on Jul 21, 19:02:

I also wish to declare that American regrets at this point are of little use, except perhaps for the easing of consciences. Pope John Paul II should have been heeded before the First Gulf War, but of course he was no longer of use, once the Soviets were out of the way. But he understood what the triumphant enders of history, in their arrogance, couldn't; that sometimes, indeed quite often, a tyrant was the best one could hope for. I greatly regret having to say that the blundering, aborting, sodomising US o ... [More]

Will Jonah Come Again to Nineveh?

Comment posted by DeGaulle on Jul 21, 18:50:

It is my understanding that the "tax" must be in gold. Apparently, this practice throughout Islam is a considerable contributor to the present value of this commodity. ... [More]

Comment posted by c matt on Jul 21, 18:47:

Christianity as it current exists will turn into irreligion and moralistic therapeutic deism while traditional forms of the faith basically die out in the west. Maybe, but you forget one thing. The "West" is also dying out in the West. Sharia don't take too kindly to LGBTXYZ. Did people on the left get upset when Eich was fired? A few did, but in general we didn't have a problem with it. Of course not, because Leftists are hypocrits. ... [More]

Comment posted by c matt on Jul 21, 18:32:

Are we conservatives that mismatched? Or stupid? Outnumbered (in the places that matter). Knowing the Power Sweep Left is called means nothing if you only have one undersized lineman available to counter it against 1500 lbs of onrushing behemoths. ... [More]

Comment posted by c matt on Jul 21, 18:23:

B can "act on her beliefs" as a gay person in a way that has nothing to do with A. No, B cannot act on her beliefs, in a way relevant to the discussion, that has nothing to do with A. The relevant "act" of B is believing A to be a bigot for believing B to be perverted and demanding society punish A for it. If B simply ignored A's alleged bigotry, there would be no issue. ... [More]

Comment posted by Dunsany on Jul 21, 16:55:

>ut wait, there is no reason to stop there, you can have 10,000 of them. Every member of your student body could be a different gender. You could be the "feels like a birch tree on Thursdays" gender and Bobbiy could be "presents as a post-modern book-loving comic" gender. Who is to say WHAT constitutes the framework or boundaries of gender? A person IS what he FEELS like. Better yet, who is even to say that there even IS such a thing as gender? Why, we should just get rid of Title IX altogether as the benig ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on Jul 21, 16:41:

Hi Dunsany, Hi Lydia, et al, Here's an insightful article that was recently published by Danusha V. Goska an insider about the Liberal Left End of the Socio-Political spectrum. It's rather enlightening and helpful. And I should like to hear/read your perspectives on this article. Hope you enjoy it. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Jul 21, 15:04:

I'm fine with gender segregated dorms as bathrooms as long as accommodations are made for LGBT individuals. Dunsany, you seem to have no concept of what you are asking for. The immediate implication would be for (at the least) a dorm (or bathroom) for gay men, and one for lesbian women, and one for trans males, and one for trans females. And one for EACH SEPARATE bisexual. That's in spite of the fact that gay and lesbians make up a small percentage of the population, and trans and *true* bisexuals make ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Jul 21, 14:45:

Lydia, that is exactly right. The record of Christians turning out Christian kids when then send their kids to public schools and public universities is abysmal. It seems like at least half of such kids lose their faith by the time they get out of college. Of the ones who retain something of the practice of Christianity, some do so only superficially. Christ did say that "the student who is fully trained will become like the teacher." If you put in anti-Christian "masters" in charge of all the schools, ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 21, 09:44:

Jeffrey and Untenured, I hope this doesn't sound too gloomy, but the problem is that too many Christians are sending their children to public schools. I have previously compared this to the origin of the janissaries--as young prisoners of war, sometimes originally Christian, taken by the Muslims in battle and then raised to be fanatical Muslims and Islam's most feared soldiers. To decide who owns the future we must look not simply at who gives birth to the children but at who guides their upbringing. To be ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 21, 09:22:

Phil, I don't have a general policy that "all workplace discrimination of all kinds is wrong." Probably, neither do you. I'm sure you can think of lots of things that warrant "discrimination," otherwise the only way to decide whom to hire or retain would be by throwing dice, or putting all the names of anybody who ever wants to work for a company into a hat, which nobody believes. _What_ sort of thing should be taken into account in those decisions is one of the things we disagree about. As for your respon ... [More]

Comment posted by Phil on Jul 21, 02:02:

Suppose that one self-identified as a "cutter" and held that it is normal to cut one's face every day until one bleeds. If another person thinks this is an abnormal inclination and that it should not be normalized Your example is fine. It doesn't strike me as a moral analogy for gay people, but I wasn't trying to convince you of the moral neutrality of homosexuality. I was just pointing out that the nature of the two different beliefs is different. X believes that cutting is normal and natural. Y beli ... [More]

Comment posted by Untenured on Jul 20, 23:50:

Wait, I thought liberals were the ones who lived in the 'reality-based community' and loved science and data? How come you know nothing about demography? The future belongs to those who show up. Jeffrey S. nails it. We are fighting the civilizational long game. Simply count the number of kids typical traditional conservatives have, who then predominently mate with other traditionalists who then produce higher than replacement birth rates. And the secularists aren't even reproducing at replacement level. T ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 20, 22:15:

For the moment our great Captain puts his hand into his bosom and allows the enemy to exult, but he is not defeated, nor is he in the least disquieted. http://lydiaswebpage.blogspot.com/2014/07/encouraging-words-from-spurgeon.html ... [More]

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Jul 19, 20:33:

Dunsany, You say, "The war is over, and you lost. Your soldiers are quietly slipping away in nursing home all across the country, and there are no reinforcements coming to man the battlements." Wait, I thought liberals were the ones who lived in the 'reality-based community' and loved science and data? How come you know nothing about demography? The future belongs to those who show up. Of course, Lydia's words of wisdom about lost causes are bracing and needed in these dark times. But if one bothers t ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 19, 15:27:

The fact of the matter is that Christian colleges who do have sex-segregated dorms have simply refused to face their own inconsistency concerning homosexual orientation. And the reason for this refusal is precisely that they have been afraid of the kinds of accusations of cruelty, meanness, "looking for an excuse to exclude," and all the rest of the nonsense that Dunsany slings around with such a lavish hand. It's a simple matter of logic: If some admittedly fully heterosexual dude applied to a Christian co ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 19, 15:11:

I don't even know what sort of "gay person" you are imagining, Dunsany. If you're imagining one who agrees with the position of the hypothetical school--namely, that homosexual desires are intrinsically disordered and homosexual acts morally wrong--then your entire perspective is skewed. I cannot imagine a heterosexual man who has Christian ethical standards actually holding that he has a right to share a dorm room with a woman to whom he isn't married! So why should a putative homosexual person who shares ... [More]

Comment posted by Dunsany on Jul 19, 13:39:

Co-ed bathing isn't even that new of an idea, you are viewing this from a prudish cultural lens. Besides, sharing a bathroom or sleeping the same dorms is a far cry from letting people spy on each other's naked bodies whenever they please. In any case, I'm fine with gender segregated dorms as bathrooms as long as accommodations are made for LGBT individuals. >In fact, if one is talking about a college such as a Christian college where incoming students allegedly accept the college's moral stances, the m ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 19, 12:34:

CJ, of course the transgender agenda is insane, and no one can pretend it has anything to do with common sense. Even some homosexuals oppose it. But I suppose I shd. add that the legal fiction, such as it is, is that "transgender persons" do in fact identify as the opposite sex. Therefore, _technically_, giving them the right to use the shower with the opposite sex isn't giving heterosexual people the right to use the shower with the opposite sex. Calling a prohibition on the latter "irrational" and acting ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 19, 11:55:

Wait, so Dunsany thinks men and women (heterosexual) _should_ be forced to sleep and shower together in colleges, that it is _irrational_ to give them even separate rooms or any privacy from one another when naked? And it's just a vague "appeal to tradition" which "only works on Christians" to let women shower separately from men and vice versa? What a nutcase. And, yeah, if one sees the rationality of _that_, then the extension to those with same-sex attraction is obvious. In fact, if one is talking abou ... [More]

Comment posted by Dunsany on Jul 19, 11:09:

> There is supposedly some point in separating males and females in sleeping arrangements, I don't care if you think there is some point to it. Either explain what the point is and then justify excluding entire categories of people on that basis or stop pretending like your position is rational. Vague appeals to tradition work on Christians, they do not work on me. >Actually, I think someone's losing his job because of something like the Chase Bank survey will not (automatically) look silly to a lot of ... [More]

Comment posted by CJ on Jul 19, 09:28:

There is supposedly some point in separating males and females in sleeping arrangements, and it has always been assumed to have _something_ to do with sexual privacy, with taking sexual desire and interest out of extremely close living arrangements in which people are changing, naked, sleeping, etc. It is common sense and not repulsive in the least. You'd think so, but no. There was a ruling out of California that specifically said other people's discomfort was not sufficient reason to deny transgenders ... [More]

Comment posted by Scott W. on Jul 19, 09:11:

I take the "wrong side of history" rhetoric as easily-ignored bluster because a). The first guys to really bank on that rhetoric were the Soviets and b). Even if it was the case that evil was on the right side of history, that wouldn't be sufficient reason to surrender or join them. 10,000 orcs are not an excuse to abandon the walls of the Hornburg. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 19, 09:08:

You won't be killed, you will be marginalized and seen as silly. Actually, I think someone's losing his job because of something like the Chase Bank survey will not (automatically) look silly to a lot of people, including some remaining secular people, who will find the persecution distasteful. If a person in that position keeps the integrity of his beliefs, states them well, and his case is publicized, he will look like a martyr being hounded for his beliefs, which is actually what he will be. If he apol ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Jul 19, 07:33:

Hopefully more organizations treat traditional Christians the way Mozilla treated Eich. I had some sympathy for such people before Hobby Lobby, but now I have none.... the future of religious organizations will be influenced by how they treat those that support gay rights. You aren't fighting us, you are negotiating the terms of your surrender. You are literally at our mercy... I would also point out that religious charities, schools, and institutions will be seriously harmed by such a lack of cooperation ... [More]

Comment posted by Dan Zachariah on Jul 18, 23:32:

Dunsany you forget that Christianity started in a time when liberty and licence were the norm. It arose and became strong because people, ordinary people, slaves and the despised didn't actually want to live in that way, however much the rich may have wanted to. Liberal USA is not the sum of humanity, and not even a very important part of its history. It will pass the way other empires have passed. There are vast numbers of poor and dispossessed people for whom the message of Christ, charity and love a ... [More]

Exceptional America

Comment posted by Tony on Jul 18, 23:29:

I showed it three times or so above. You haven't even tried to respond to them. And it is simply ludicrous to suggest that asserting a position borders on heresy is 'boorish, uncivilized behavior.' What you said was: You people simply do not share my hatred for heresies, which is a shame and the intimation at least of heresy itself. The "at least" is, of course, a showing that you haven't yet decided whether what you are seeing is heresy, but you're open to the idea. That's pretty rich coming from s ... [More]