What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

New Undesigned Coincidence supporting Pauline authorship of 2 Timothy

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 28, 10:59:

Yes, scholarly skepticism about Pauline epistles (and for that matter the traditional author ascriptions of the Gospels) is exaggerated and unreasonable. The "arguments" for casting doubt on the prima facie case are very flimsy. In the case of the pastorals (I and II Timothy and Titus) they consist chiefly of verbal arguments about the use of otherwise unfamiliar words in the pastorals, but this is quite obviously the result of their unusual purposes--that is, writing to individuals with instructions for th ... [More]

New Undesigned Coincidence supporting Pauline authorship of 2 Timothy

Comment posted by Tony on Jun 28, 09:25:

So, let me get this straight: you would have us believe that 2 Timothy, the one that starts out with Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, in keeping with the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus, To Timothy, my dear son: was written by Paul! You're a real radical, ain't you? Revolutionary! Next you'll be telling us that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, that eyes are structured so as to see, and that water flows downhill. There's no telling what nonsense you'll co ... [More]

Surrender, Or Else...

Comment posted by Tony on Jun 27, 10:17:

Your point about muddled situations with fragmentary loyalties is very good. The "rules of war" we are more familiar with (as with the GC) obtain much more clearly in the unambiguous situation of nation-states in a declared war, less so in some other situations. They don't obtain in civilian affairs, and rather differently in police actions. My thought on the sorites problem is as follows. Let us divide direct war combat into 3 cases: (A) the opponents immediate capabilities are relatively comparable, ... [More]

Surrender, Or Else...

Comment posted by steve burton on Jun 27, 10:02:

Sorry, OT, but does anybody know if Maximos, one of the original posters here, still lives & publishes his always interesting opinions? Daniel Larison, of course, can always be found at "The American Conservative" - but I can't seem to find Maximos anywhere. Best - Steve ... [More]

Surrender, Or Else...

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 27, 09:43:

It is not much different from a Navy Seal sneaking up on a camp guard behind his back and slitting his throat even before he knows there is a hostile in range. He didn't have to know, they are at WAR, that's all the warning you get. That's an interesting example. In the 19th-century African adventure novel _Allen Quatermain_, the main characters have an adventure along the way where they have to rescue a little girl (the daughter of missionaries) from bloodthirsty Masai. The Masai have the girl in a kraal ... [More]

Surrender, Or Else...

Comment posted by Tony on Jun 27, 00:30:

It's more like an elaborate game than anything else. It's funny, because I thought of that too. But in thinking it through, my sense is that it is precisely because it ISN'T a game that parole gets to mean something important. Compare it to playing hide and seek. If the person who is "it" finds you and tags you, you are "out", for the rest of the round. He can then go and try to catch others. He can leave alone to stew or whatever, because nothing you can do can get you "back in" and playing, you ca ... [More]

Surrender, Or Else...

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 26, 20:40:

I completely agree about the ridiculousness of the "duty to try to escape" combined with the Geneva Convention requirement that prisoners not be killed. A medieval would probably have agreed as well--that if a prisoner does not give his parole, he can be executed. And that a prisoner who gives us parole is morally obligated to abide by it. (In Sir Walter Scott novels, which may or may not really represent medieval ideals but are meant to, prisoners surrender with the phrase "rescue or no rescue" and are sup ... [More]

Josh Ritter the Smiling Folk-Rock Mountain Man

Comment posted by Step2 on Jun 22, 15:55:

Paul, Well, you are the only one here who writes posts about music - at least the sort of music I normally listen to. I was a little surprised you didn't write a post about Dylan's letter to the Nobel Prize committee. I do enjoy and appreciate Josh Ritter's musical craftsmanship and storytelling talent but his style isn't as easy to connect to as most of the others I listen to. I went to the Fox once, back in 2005 if memory serves, and I wish I had taken binoculars because I was so far away from the stag ... [More]

Let there be songs, to fill the air

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Jun 21, 16:50:

A year later but I want to call attention to an excellent Amazon production called "Long Strange Trip"; well done and unstinting, worth a watch if you like the Dead. https://www.amazon.com/Long-Strange-Trip/dp/B072HHSYTQ/?ref=dvm_us_dl_sl_go_ast|c_201269419629_m_iFVjSBUd-dc_s_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlKDC7efP1AIVhYSzCh0qdAFdEAAYASAAEgJGQvD_BwE ... [More]

Josh Ritter the Smiling Folk-Rock Mountain Man

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Jun 21, 16:36:

Wow. Now I'm confusing MMJ with Josh Ritter. Yikes. "Circuital" is indeed an excellent song, but by someone else than Ritter. Elephant, the duality song I meant to say was "Orbital," by Josh Ritter, 2010. ... [More]

Josh Ritter the Smiling Folk-Rock Mountain Man

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Jun 21, 15:27:

Step2 -- always appreciate your song links. Do you sit around waiting for me to post on music? Heh. I wouldn't say these songs are based on petty-boy atheism but rather a skepticism mixed with a desire for faith. Could be. That's a more charitable interpretation. Either way, Josh Ritter is one of my favorites, whatever his theological views. Last fall he was playing with Jason Isbell at the Fox in Atlanta. That would have been a great show to see but alas, I couldn't make it work. ... [More]

Josh Ritter the Smiling Folk-Rock Mountain Man

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Jun 21, 15:15:

Elephant -- those are all good songs (I also love "Circuital" with its marvelous verbal interplay of dualities). In general, I thought So Runs the World Away was a step down from the genius of Historical Conquests and Animal Years. Still a good album though. Chris -- as I said to you in personal correspondence, you neglected my qualifying phrase "on the printed page." Not sure that reading Josh Ritter songs as poetry is much better than Dylan, Springsteen or anyone else. But I take your point: as a musical ... [More]

Chronology of the Pauline epistles

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 20, 22:26:

Tim tells me A.T. Robertson is sort of the gold standard of harmonies, and he does have some dating conjectures. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/36264/36264-h/36264-h.htm Dating the life of Christ is related on the one hand to the death of Herod the Great during Jesus' infancy and, on the other end, to various astronomical calculations intended to figure out when Passover would have begun in various years, together with controversies about how to interpret the gospels concerning the day of Jesus' death. I ... [More]

Better enforcement and violence

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 20, 19:12:

Threats were always illegal in the Western legal tradition and still should be. It's a "broken window" philosophy. When our culture starts shrugging our shoulders at explicit threats, that's just part of, and a contributor to, the culture's going to hell. Part of what's wrong with the world is that increasingly people think that words are not acts and that there is a vaaaaaast gulf between "mere words," even when they are express threats of grievous bodily harm, and "real acts." Rightly, our legal tradition ... [More]

Josh Ritter the Smiling Folk-Rock Mountain Man

Comment posted by Step2 on Jun 20, 14:45:

I wouldn't say these songs are based on petty-boy atheism but rather a skepticism mixed with a desire for faith. Bon Iver and The Staves "Heavenly Father" acapella (language warning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoADCSpD-8 Cuff the Duke "If I Live, or if I Die", apparently used in the HBO show True Detective https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGyXU6Ez0S0 ... [More]

Josh Ritter the Smiling Folk-Rock Mountain Man

Comment posted by The Masked Elephant on Jun 19, 23:28:

Where's "Another New World?" By far his best. From the same album, "Lark" (the Paul Simon is strong with this one) and "Lantern." ... [More]

Chronology of the Pauline epistles

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 19, 21:13:

Hmm, something like a harmony of the gospels, only with approximate dating. I'll ask EH (Esteemed Husband). It's the kind of thing one of those "old guys" would have written up, and done well, too. The main thing there is that John records more Passovers and more times in Jerusalem generally (one in the winter) than the Synoptics, so one has to fit all of that together. John also records a Judean ministry prior to the Galilean ministry that most of the synoptics start with after the temptation in the wilde ... [More]

Josh Ritter the Smiling Folk-Rock Mountain Man

Comment posted by Chris Floyd on Jun 19, 15:36:

Well, this is a fine write-up and a solid set list, but let me correct a few conspicuous oversights, if I may! :) First, and most importantly: "Not a superlative writer"?? Name a lyricist of his generation who can out-do a line like "I got a girl in the war, man, her eyes are like champagne. They sparkle, bubble over, and in the morning all you got is rain." Or could compose a clever, poignant story-song like Temptation of Adam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH9MhovIY9g Speaking of which, Ritter's ant ... [More]

Better enforcement and violence

Comment posted by Tearfang on Jun 19, 14:22:

2) actual violent assault, is far more worrying to me than threats. and the better place to start Mob violence is treated politically. I have little faith that changing our laws would really help this. It requires a political response. Documenting bad behavior on video seems to be the approach which has gained traction on both the left and the right. An example of this in action: The Diablo Valley ethics professor arrested for assaulting ppl with a u-lock in the Berkeley riots: http://www.theblaze.com/news/ ... [More]

Chronology of the Pauline epistles

Comment posted by Tony on Jun 19, 13:23:

This is an amazing amount of work, Lydia. Thank you. Do you know of a comparable line-up of Gospel passages, not in terms of when they were written, but in terms of how they lay out in the life of Christ? Since few think that all of the Gospels were written chronologically, even an attempt to fit together the order that we could ascertain - though it would not cover all passages because some simply could fit anywhere - would be helpful. ... [More]

Better enforcement and violence

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 17, 20:37:

After reading your comment, Tony, I went and read up on the Elonis v. United States case, which I hadn't done before this post. Depressing as heck. Communicating threats across state lines should fall within federal jurisdiction and would have previously been considered illegal under federal law. But SCOTUS ruled that the state had to prove that the person really meant them as threats. Elonis said that his threatening communications to his wife (stating that he would cut her throat and more) were "lyrics ... [More]

Better enforcement and violence

Comment posted by Tony on Jun 17, 09:58:

I am sure that at least some of the time, what goes through a policeman's head is whether "he deserved it" to some degree or other. I mean, if a heckler at a campus lecture gets verbally mean and posturingly offensive (but not threatening or violent), and the lecturer eventually shoves him, I can easily see a cop deciding not to pursue that because the heckler just got what he deserved, and anyway a shove isn't "serious enough", in that situation, to warrant an arrest and charge. We generally do actually ... [More]

Better enforcement and violence

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 16, 22:40:

They enforce it inconsistently. If you look at the Daily Caller article linked in the post, you actually do find some prosecutions--some for threats, some for punching people over political differences, etc. I am curious about what goes through the head of a prosecutor and/or policeman who decides actually to go after someone making such threats. What does it take to get them to decide, "Okay, this time we're going to get this b*st*rd"? Which cops realize that threats are illegal and which ones think (dumbl ... [More]

Better enforcement and violence

Comment posted by David on Jun 16, 21:47:

A moot question. They won't enforce the law. That's the point. Why are you wasting your time with hypotheticals? ... [More]

Choice devours itself--Open murder in the Netherlands

Comment posted by Tony Powell on Jun 15, 18:19:

Why is Al Qaeda more compassionate than pro-lifers? The 9/11 hijackers got to die instantly. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Jun 8, 21:13:

I agree, and confirming your instinct is this: "Q" in the zoo of letters is sometimes said to be "queer" and sometimes said to be "questioning." I am pretty sure that "questioning" is a much later version. It certainly came from queer. Best quote I saw recently: Don't try to remember the alphabet soup, the meanings are always changing. Indeed. To kill thought, make words incapable of carrying a meaning; destroy the convention by which common meaning occurs. This becomes an explicit agenda item. ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Jun 7, 23:39:

""This child is sexually questioning, but his parents will not affirm him if he decides he is gay."" That is troubling, isn't "questioning" a broad enough category just about any kid could be placed in it? Al Mohler may have been on this as well, he said in his podcast about the Illinois policy that it basically mandates everyone involved in the foster care system treat all children as if they are on the "lgbt spectrum". If so this just seems like more reason to see this as a "heads we win, tails you lose ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 7, 15:51:

I agree, and confirming your instinct is this: "Q" in the zoo of letters is sometimes said to be "queer" and sometimes said to be "questioning." Insofar as children fall under these mandates if they are merely "questioning," all that is necessary is for activists to have enough influence with the child to create some degree of confusion. This needn't even be so radical a confusion as that the child thinks he "is" the opposite gender. Indeed, let's not forget that homosexuality is still involved here. It's p ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Jun 7, 14:05:

I think I can better explain the concern I have with policy that calls not affirming LGBT abusive to "LGBT" kids and how that can extend to normal kids. Even if the same policy never calls it abuse to be unaffirming of LGBT towards normal kids, if anyone...perhaps a teacher...catches on that junior's parents dont affirm LGBT that could be used as a reason to at least send a state agency to investigate. Just to make sure there is no actual abuse per their policy happening. It still opens another door for t ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 7, 09:21:

I am just not exactly optimistic that Ontario and Illinois are as bad it can be. I'm not either. In terms of the explicit intent of the law, the Ontario law is already worse than the Illinois one. And in Norway children have been taken from their parents just because the parents were seriously religious Christians. Later (in the Norwegian case) the excuse was made that the parents had used corporal punishment, which is officially illegal in Norway (and in Delaware--trivia fact of the day), but initially t ... [More]

Comment posted by Sage McLaughlin on Jun 7, 08:45:

I think that within 15 years (hopefully less), even the liberal establishment will turn its back on this form of insanity and say no. The problem is that in the meantime, they will absolutely wreck the lives of normal good people, the same way the French mobs destroyed perfectly sane decent people in the French Revolution before it burned itself out. I've been somewhat "optimistic," if it can be called that, that this is what we're going to see at some inevitable point in the not-too-distant future. W ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Jun 6, 23:43:

"The reason it's regarded as abuse *for* that particular child is because, according to the fiction, not to affirm that identity causes harm to the child who so identifies. Presumably one could argue that it doesn't cause at least the same kind of alleged harm to a child who has no such ideas." If something can be regarded as abuse according to fiction in one case, nothing is stopping it from being regarded so in the other. I am just not exactly optimistic that Ontario and Illinois are as bad it can be. T ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 6, 23:04:

Tony, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's going in the opposite direction. The institution you are thinking of is Johns Hopkins, but they have now seen the light and are going back to cutting off people's genitalia. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/long-shadow-cast-by-psychiatrist-on-transgender-issues-finally-recedes-at-johns-hopkins/2017/04/05/e851e56e-0d85-11e7-ab07-07d9f521f6b5_story.html ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 6, 23:01:

But, I think that, given the fluidity of sexual attraction and of transgendered feelings in young children and teens, in light of the high suicide or STD rates of transgendered or gay people, that my child should wait before they get 'gender confirmation surgery', dress as the opposite gender, or whatnot, or engage in gay sex. Would I be in risk of losing my child? I mean, "I" affirm that whole moral view they do. But maybe "I" don't do so wholeheartedly enough. Of course, I doubt there are too many peopl ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Jun 6, 20:41:

This is also Exhibit 3,678,956 for the case against that seductive assurance of the libertine left (and right) that under their rules, everybody gets to live as they wish and will be left alone to raise their families so long as they don't go about looking for a fight. Societies just don't work that way, because officialdom has to take positions on certain basic aspects of reality, and whatever those positions are will have profound consequences for public standards of morality. Absolutely right. It isn' ... [More]

Comment posted by Sean K. on Jun 6, 20:32:

Let's say that I'm an atheist, morally liberal parent. I think gay sex is perfectly fine, transgenderism is perfectly coherent and moral. Heck, my best friend is a transgender man who is in (an ostensibly) homosexual "marriage" (with a real man). But, I think that, given the fluidity of sexual attraction and of transgendered feelings in young children and teens, in light of the high suicide or STD rates of transgendered or gay people, that my child should wait before they get 'gender confirmation surgery', ... [More]

Comment posted by Sage McLaughlin on Jun 6, 18:47:

All it would take would be for the therapist to make suggestions to the effect that maybe the child really "is" transgender, etc., for the ball to be kicked off. It wouldn't even have to be a therapist. A meddlesome teacher, a pederast, a former romantic interest--anybody with the right blend of ideological commitment and personal malice could get the ball rolling on "proceedings" against the parents. This is also Exhibit 3,678,956 for the case against that seductive assurance of the libertine left (and ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 6, 15:13:

This raises a question for me, and not that these laws are not alarming or draconian enough as it is, but is there anything stopping them from calling non affirming parenting child abuse even if the children are not LGBT? I think the best hope would be that one's "deviant" beliefs would fly under the radar if the children did not identify in this way. But that's pretty iffy, especially since all sorts of counselors can *suggest* to children that they "are" homosexual or transgender and then identify them a ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Jun 6, 14:26:

I have a five month old, so these legal developments hit close to home for me. Of course, I don't expect or want any child of mine to suffer with same sex attractions or gender confusion. Yet that is possible, and either way, I intend to explain what is wrong with those things and will not affirm them. As I understand it, by Ontario or Illinois standards that would be child abuse if they classify junior as lgbt. This raises a question for me, and not that these laws are not alarming or draconian enoug ... [More]

Giving the devil his due

Comment posted by Lydia on Jun 6, 09:13:

I just hope some crazy judge doesn't say it's "discriminatory" for the HHS mandate to be rescinded. But judges are sufficiently crazy that I fear it will happen. ... [More]