What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 23, 14:49:

I also have to love "seek to destroy you" as a description of a soberly worded blog post at an obscure blog. It's just luvverly. I guess that goes along with David French's desire to "put down" all alt-rightists. Perhaps we should get together with him to plan the Final Solution. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 23, 14:44:

What's amazing is the pretense of *thoughtfulness*. It's so silly. From the leftist "everything is racist" the alt-rightist decides, "If you say that _any comment_ in the real world is racist and deplore it, you're wrong and 'fatally PC' and deserve to be called a ____-servative." This is scarcely the mark of intelligent, critical thought. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 23, 14:42:

fatal PC-ness Ahhh. The one crime that deserves purging. Well, then, all is explained. Especially when "fatal PC-ness"means saying, "No, that's an objectively despicable way of behaving." Even if it is, in fact, an objectively despicable way of behaving. Thank you for telling us that French wanted all the alt-right people killed. I'll bear that in mind. Especially coming from someone like you, Crude, who is so excellent at interpreting and restating what others say. (We've seen that so often in your "summ ... [More]

Comment posted by Crude on Jul 23, 14:06:

Crude, what you don't understand (I don't know if you _can't_ or whether it's willful) is that we stand on who we are and speak from our own actual identity. We say what we say not to signal, not to posture, not to purge for the sake thereof, but because of what we stand _for_ and believe in, as a positive matter. Insofar as that's true, Lydia, then I have some bad news for you: your principles are terrible, and are little different from those of the SJWs in many respects. If your defense of the various pu ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 23, 13:37:

I just looked up the Steyn brouhaha, which I hadn't followed. Speaking just for myself, I found his fruit cordial joke *exceedingly* mild, not deserving of the phrase "derogatory slur" which I believe Steorts applied to it, and Steorts's written response to be overkill. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that to call that joke a "slur" and to speak of it as beyond civil discourse is likely to desensitize people to _actual_ despicable slurs that do not belong in civil discourse. But in all honesty, it soun ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 23, 13:18:

That Kilo! He's so, so naughty. And not funny. No. Not funny at all. Because naughty funniness is obviously what's most important in a spokesman, a pundit, or a leader in the culture wars. I'm sure that's exactly what Gandalf, Whittaker Chambers, and God would tell us to look for. But of course "Kilo's" winky-winky, cute "naughty" funniness is part of what makes claims that he's a poor, purged conservative ring so hollow. He sits around tittering about, e.g., the "mischievousness" of making a fake Twitte ... [More]

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Jul 23, 11:08:

Steve, I'm jealous of your world travels -- my parents have been to Saint Petersburg (and Russia -- I think they cruised down the Neva) and I've wanted to go ever since!!! Anyway, unless you are a mind-reader like Crude, it is silly to ascribe motives to the editors of National Review (and any other magazine/publication) that decides to drop a contributor. Maybe they are actually principled and for one reason or another simply make a decision that writer X, Y, or Z no longer held views that they comporte ... [More]

Comment posted by Steve Burton on Jul 23, 10:24:

@crude: "no amount of self-purging was ever good enough to win the approval of the left. And the old right has, at long last, sacrificed so many people - and principles - on the pyre that they're now outnumbered by once-allies who have been burned." Precisely so. Let us call the roll: Sam Francis. Patrick Buchanan. Peter Brimelow. Paul Gottfried. Ann Coulter. Steve Sailer. John Derbyshire. Lawrence Auster. Mark Steyn. ... [More]

Comment posted by Steve Burton on Jul 23, 09:52:

Greetings from Санкт-Петербу́рг! I've a few hours to kill before Carmina Burana at Mariinsky 2 tonight, so I thought I'd do my occasional check-in... Glad to see Lydia keeping up with the major issues of the day. That Kilo! He's so, so naughty. And not funny. No. Not funny at all. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 23, 09:02:

A great irony is that the alt-right are as far as possible from _not_ purging. They purge and attack anyone whom they perceive as being insufficiently like themselves. Any pundit who disagrees with them on a particular issue of foreign policy, who thinks racism is not unreal (and/or who, heaven forbid, actually condemns it when he sees it), who adopts a child from a foreign country, and so forth. Such are highly likely to be on the receiving end of a "purging" action that makes mere banning from Twitter or ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 22:38:

Crude, what you don't understand (I don't know if you _can't_ or whether it's willful) is that we stand on who we are and speak from our own actual identity. We say what we say not to signal, not to posture, not to purge for the sake thereof, but because of what we stand _for_ and believe in, as a positive matter. I know that this is true of myself, and I have confidence that the same is true of my fellow bloggers here. For some reason, you and others of your ilk don't believe this or don't want to believ ... [More]

Comment posted by Crude on Jul 22, 20:38:

There's been a recent brouhaha connected with Twitter concerning a certain columnist whom I'll just call Kilo. That'll show 'im! Any such downplaying of vile insult is exactly the opposite of conservative. This kind of posturing is exactly why conservatives have not only been on a multi-decade losing streak, but why they've also lost their own political party. Well, one reason anyway, among a number. The alt-right's sneering at anyone who complains about "mere" verbal insult is part of the postmoderni ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 20:34:

Poor, womanish, Solzhenitsyn, Alfred the Great, and Jesus of Nazareth. And many another. They must all have been under the thumb of some school marm or other to go through their entire lives without endorsing the use of schoolyard epithets. ... [More]

Comment posted by The Masked Chicken on Jul 22, 14:39:

I realize that GW has been banned, but his last comment provides some material for rebuttal. "Let the reader not be fooled, what bothers her most about people like Milo is not that they are openly unregenerate sinners, but rather that they criticize the shrieking antics of liberals attempting to garnish undeserved sympathy." GW, I strongly doubt that you have had any training as a critic of the arts (both Lydia and I have doctorates in the arts or humanities and I am, also, a professional scientist, so I ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 13:48:

I don't know enough about ham radio to say exactly where the differences come, but I do know a fair bit about the Internet, and it would *undeniably* be a means to censorship, especially on this broad of a scale. Now, here's what I *would* support: There are laws on the books everywhere in the country against direct, personal harassment. For example, it isn't first-amendment-protected speech for someone to call me up on my phone 24 hours a day and leave foul-mouthed abuse. Physical threats, it goes without ... [More]

Comment posted by The Masked Chicken on Jul 22, 13:24:

"But that is best done by non-government entities. It would be extremely dangerous policy to give that power to a governmental entity." Maybe, maybe not. I can see where it could be a means to censorship, but the government has done well by ham radio. The Chicken ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 12:48:

GW, I don't need to answer you. You are your own refutation. You are Exhibit A. And, your own protestations to the contrary notwithstanding, you are an enemy of goodness and virtue and show it by your disdain and by your compulsion to slap misogynistic labels upon calls for manly virtue in civic discourse. Real men don't need to lower themselves to the levels you are defending (excusing and dismissing) or to the level of discourse you are exhibiting. You are also banned, because you have deliberately viola ... [More]

Comment posted by GW on Jul 22, 12:39:

Some of you are being way too nice. This is how you respond to hysterical cat-ladies... The pharisaical conservative, this authoress being one of the most odious examples, cares firstly about appearance. "Thank God I'm not like the tax collector." Not content to rest in Christ, she relies on the piety of her own politics. You see she is better than those evil alt-righters because she doesn't excuse "racism," doesn't stoop to the level of leftists, doesn't engage in ad hominen. Were she to stop looking at t ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 10:31:

Chicken, just for the record, and in case anyone thinks that my silence gives consent, I think the government is a very ill-suited set of people to be handing out or withholding Internet user licenses. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get one, on the grounds of my positions. Of course, those who engage in and incite real harassment will make use of that fact: Look at me, I'm being persecuted by Twitter for my political views! Part of the point of this post has been to try to distinguish those who really are ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 10:22:

It is critical to bear in mind to comprehend the phenomenon - how it makes sense from the adherents' point of view and why it is so popular. It shows me that the "adherents" are irrational, defensive, and childish, because they will bring up hoaxes in a context where, they realize themselves, no hoax is taking place, and because they will talk like it is relevant without being able to show any rational relevance. That is, of course, assuming that one is actually interested in understanding the "truly stra ... [More]

Comment posted by The Masked Chicken on Jul 22, 10:11:

I spent a while, last night, getting up to speed on the background of this situation and, afterwards, I really felt like I needed a shower. Lydia is correct, of course. This behavior is not restricted to the alt-right, but is a type of pathology growing in size endemic to, mostly, the under-30 crowd. I have seen or read of the exact same behavior in such diverse online sites as those devoted to Gnu-atheism (the New Atheist movement), hacker sites, such as 4chan, where the Gamergate mess played out, polit ... [More]

Comment posted by GJ on Jul 22, 09:21:

In my main post I anticipated the red herring ("Some people cry 'wolf' and make hoaxes") and you draw that red herring across our trail, changing the subject, and you then quote me from the main post as anticipating it? That's pretty striking. In fact, in this context, it ISN'T "useful to bear in mind." It's sheer spin and subject-changing. It is critical to bear in mind to comprehend the phenomenon - how it makes sense from the adherents' point of view and why it is so popular. That is, of course, assum ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 22, 08:59:

In my main post I anticipated the red herring ("Some people cry 'wolf' and make hoaxes") and you draw that red herring across our trail, changing the subject, and you then quote me from the main post as anticipating it? That's pretty striking. In fact, in this context, it ISN'T "useful to bear in mind." It's sheer spin and subject-changing. Yes, I do care, because real people are involved. Real people who read these poisonous web sites. Real people who learn to mock at the the notion of standards of disco ... [More]

Comment posted by GJ on Jul 22, 06:21:

Actually, that is not pertinent in this case. Quite, the general point about crying 'Wolf' and subsequent disbelief does not apply to M.Y. but it is useful to bear in mind ("Though I have no doubt that some in the alternative reality of the alternative right are raising even that possibility, just to throw it into the mix. Or changing the subject and talking incessantly about other people who, they believe, have played such hoaxes"). No, the mocking of people who really do receive vile harassment is far ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 21, 21:10:

Unfortunately, when many have cried wolf it may cause others to be disbelieved whether they are speaking truly or not. Actually, that is not pertinent in this case. M.Y. himself did not say that she was *faking* the tweets against her, nor do most who are calling her a whiner or what-not. And I gather it would be ludicrous to claim any such thing. The evidence is overwhelming that she really was inundated with this junk. What is rather being claimed is that she is a whiner for even mentioning it, that we s ... [More]

Comment posted by GJ on Jul 21, 20:48:

Lydia: I am commenting, rather, on the truly strange idea that we should criticize those who complain about vile insult rather than those who engage in vile insult. Where does this idea come from? And what does "Everyone gets hate mail" have to do with it? ... Now, I want to submit to you (without being harsh to you personally) that all that sort of talk--she's bad, she's dishonest, she should have known better, she's just a whiner, she's playing this up--is a distraction from the badness of the insult ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 21, 20:44:

I don't think it is as simple as saying the Left hates Christianity per se. It was an analogy. A comparison. I was simply pointing out that animus against groups qua groups is both possible and actual and that it is legitimate, part of seeing reality as it is, to note the animus against the group as such. If there are people who hate blacks or other races as such, and/or who make comments that express such animus, it is legitimate to note that, not to obscure it or to refuse to note it. If there are peopl ... [More]

Comment posted by Kurt on Jul 21, 20:34:

But they just want different standards of linguistic, ideological self-monitoring. Like "Don't say 'racism.' That's using leftist language." I am not suggesting PC speech codes. I am saying that "racism" is not well-defined. It is a term that has been hijacked by the Left. It can mean anything from disagreeing with Obama, to pointing out facts about race, or just being born white. Now I imagine when people say nasty things about Christians it is because of what Christians believe. The Left hates Chris ... [More]

Comment posted by The Masked Chicken on Jul 21, 20:31:

I will have read more in-depth about what happened, because it is too easy for me rashly comment. The Chicken ... [More]

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Jul 21, 19:40:

TMC, Just a point of clarification -- it is my understanding that Ms. Jones, the actress, was not "banned from Twitter" but chose to leave the platform due to the amount of negative messages she was receiving. Whether or not that was wise or warranted I cannot say -- but Twitter did shut down Milo's account supposedly because he was encouraging the harassment. So in one sense Twitter did try and do something about the 'improper' use of their medium. The problem is that Jones would have had to report lot ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 21, 19:00:

This Twitter mess is not an alt-right behavior. M.Y.'s insertion of himself into it, and the subsequent spin, spin, spin *from* the alt-right, makes it an alt-right matter. It is the alt-right *itself* (see the post Jeff linked) that treats such insults as coming from "their" side of the political aisle or from "allies," etc., and that explicitly and deliberately encourages and excuses such behavior under the "no enemies to the right" policy. ... [More]

Comment posted by The Masked Chicken on Jul 21, 18:58:

I really don't follow pop culture, so I just read a news article about this. The actress who was banned from Twitter should sue them for harassment and defamation of character. Free speech is fine, but just as a bartender can be legally liable for letting a drunk get behind the wheel, so should places like Twitter and Facebook be held liable for permitting harassing behavior - at least in a just society. In fact, because Twitter is so unregulated, I would be happy to see it shut down. Free speech is not ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 21, 18:01:

I suppose the concern here is that Milo Yiannopoulos is a rising star on the Right and you find this problematic. The "this" that I find problematic is the deliberate, by-policy, speaking up to attack someone who has been on the receiving end of such comments and who has complained. And on the part of someone taken to represent "the right" and defended by increasing segments thereof. Yes, I think that is really bad thing. I don't even write about it very often. I'm not sure where "emotionalism" comes in, ... [More]

Comment posted by Kurt on Jul 21, 17:46:

What I do not quite understand is the extreme emotional devotion to this particular issue. Vile things are said on the internet all the time. Anyone who comments on the Internet has been on the receiving end of it. I suppose the concern here is that Milo Yiannopoulos is a rising star on the Right and you find this problematic. I understand the reasons for the concern, but I can't get emotional over some stupid comments on Twitter, but I have no real objection to calling the comments "vile racist epithet ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Jul 21, 16:24:

I don't know the comments that were made and I'm sure some of them were clearly wrong, but if there is anything that is vague, it is "racism", which is often nothing more than a blunt instrument used by the Left to shut down disagreement. Well, goodness! You could use Google and find out, right? If you indeed _respect_ the bloggers here, then why not cut some slack when it comes to a phrase like "vile racist epithets" and figure out if, you know, they were indeed vile, racist, epithets. But Kurt, I have ... [More]

Comment posted by Kurt on Jul 21, 14:52:

"Yes, why be concerned with public standards of civility and decency -- I mean who ever heard of such a thing?" A small fraction of Twitter users does not represent general public standards. I don't go around monitoring every Facebook post or Twitter comment, so I don't quite get the selective outrage here. What this is really about is the dislike of Milo Yiannopoulos, which is fine. I certainly do not agree with everything he does. For example, his insults towards Ben Shapiro were uncalled for. Of co ... [More]

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Jul 21, 14:26:

Kurt, "Why are we so concerned with what some anonymous trolls on Twitter are saying?" Yes, why be concerned with public standards of civility and decency -- I mean who ever heard of such a thing? Or to quote Lydia's original post back at you: Any such downplaying of vile insult is exactly the opposite of conservative. The conservative believes that ideas have consequences. (Sound familiar?) The conservative is a realist about meanings and about language. He believes that words express ideas in people ... [More]

Comment posted by Kurt on Jul 21, 13:59:

"If you do have a look at some of the tweets/comments being made, I think it'll give you a sense of the scale here." Why are we so concerned with what some anonymous trolls on Twitter are saying? I don't think "everyone gets hate mail" is excusing vile insults, but rather pointing out reality. If you are a public figure on Twitter you will be insulted, so stop acting like you are the only person to have ever been insulted on Twitter. I think that is a charitable reading of the comment. I read "Kilo's" ... [More]

Comment posted by The Masked Elephant on Jul 21, 13:29:

Kurt, if you read Matt Walsh as Lydia says I think you'll get a good notion of how ridicule and mockery can be properly applied. Obviously the authors at W4 don't think this is always wrong, and not to be harsh but if you don't get that by now you must not be reading carefully. You should know by now that they're not PC tone police, far from it. If you do have a look at some of the tweets/comments being made, I think it'll give you a sense of the scale here. People are calling Jones a "c**n," a "n***er," c ... [More]

Comment posted by Kurt on Jul 21, 12:56:

"If what you have in mind is the former, why even bring it up on this thread? I'm writing about the latter." Because I want to know if you think all ridicule and mockery of political enemies is wrong. Is it wrong to personalize and polarize as the Left does? I'm not talking about death threats or threats of violence, which are clearly wrong. Where does ridicule, mockery, and polarization differ from insults? I don't know the comments that were made and I'm sure some of them were clearly wrong, but if t ... [More]