What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

The Recent Zoo Synod and the Infallibility of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis

Comment posted by Tony on Nov 11, 18:03:

If it could have been both, surely Ratzinger wouldn't have hesitated to say so; it would in no way stop him from emphasising the perennial nature of the claim I suggested a possible reason above: This is only a guess on my part: JPII may well have been led to imagine that he could issue a letter that addresses the topic in a way that “settles all doubt” by clarifying and distinguishing the truth so that he put it beyond doubt, especially, in clarifying how overwhelmingly strong the evidence was for the ... [More]

The Recent Zoo Synod and the Infallibility of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis

Comment posted by Tony on Nov 11, 01:55:

Thank you for an interesting and worthwhile objection, Mr. Green. I think (if I understand you correctly) that I can't quite agree with you, but I see room for developing both sides more thoroughly. I will try to develop my own POV with enough clarity to advance the dispute. First, when you use the expression "always and everywhere" I assume you mean to refer to a teaching that is an infallible teaching of the Church in virtue of its being taught infallibly by the Ordinary Magisterium, and NOT having be ... [More]

“Just throw my bones in a hole in the ground” -- Lord Huron's spectral harmonies

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Nov 10, 04:19:

Fair enough, Tony. Pedantry is always welcome among my friends. ... [More]

The Recent Zoo Synod and the Infallibility of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis

Comment posted by Mr. Green on Nov 8, 20:18:

Tony, this is a good presentation of the issues. However, I’m not persuaded of your conclusion that the point of OS mandated a declaration ex cathedra. I agree that Councils and ex cathedra statements can be pinned to a specific place and time; this is indeed what distinguishes them from claims that are true “always and everywhere”. Therefore, however clarifying and infallible OS might be, it couldn’t be ex cathedra for the very reason that it was an always-and-everywhere teaching. If it could have been bot ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Nov 5, 08:39:

On the Kindle question, my publisher currently doesn't have concrete plans for a Kindle version, but we hope to have one eventually. My contract for the book covers both paper and Kindle. With Hidden in Plain View, I believe it was about a year between paper and Kindle. I have a hope that when eventually TMOM is in Kindle we will be able to get it done in such a way that the page numbers correspond to the paper page numbers. I've seen a couple of books now that have that, and it's a tremendous convenience f ... [More]

Comment posted by Scott on Nov 5, 05:01:

Will this book be available on Kindle or an electronic format? That would be most convenient for me, but either way I plan on reading it. It should be really good! I went to the pre-order site (on Amazon) and it did not have a Kindle format available (yet). You can do as I did and scroll down just a bit and on the right-hand side will be a link to "Tell the Publisher 'I'd like to read this book on Kindle.'" The more requests they get, perhaps the more quickly it will happen. ?? ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Nov 4, 21:35:

Third largest? Affirmative. It turns out that Lake Huron is nothing less than the world’s third largest lake; and given its extraordinary proliferation of tangled inlets and islands, by some measures this inland monster has more freshwater shoreline than any body of water on earth. Exceeded only in water volume by its siblings Superior and Michigan, Old Man Huron is a lord of waters indeed. I am going to be pendantic for just a moment, and point out that the Great Caspian Lake (err, let's call it the "Casp ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Nov 4, 21:00:

So getting back to scripture, and the gospels in particular, I'm totally fine with just letting a difficulty stand and thinking there is a good chance that there is some missing fact that when conjoined with the two apparently conflicting facts fixes things. Maybe not. Actually, it occurs to me that we should press the argument a step farther. Scientism-types are confident that our resorting to God as an explanation of certain things is nothing more than wishful thinking, and that science "will eventuall ... [More]

Comment posted by Paul on Nov 4, 18:03:

Comment posted by James on Nov 4, 17:26:

I was at that same performance in August 2018. I've seen LH live two or three times, and they always sounded brilliant. Nothing sounded out of balance, unlike most shows I go to where either the vocalist is drowned out by the drums or the bass is drowned out by everything else. One of my favorites, "Meet Me in the Woods", was the only one that I didn't think was that great during live performances due to lack of the female backup (Jessica Maros) that is on the album version. Ben has definitely improved on ... [More]

Comment posted by Joe Lightfoot on Nov 4, 12:55:

Andrew, there is another option, though, and it's been the option that traditional inerrantists have taken since time out of mind: They can just say that they don't know and that there is probably some factual harmonization that depends on facts we don't have. That is what traditional inerrantists had *always* done with recalcitrant apparent discrepancies, right up until these literary theories got popular. They were willing to live with not knowing. That seems to me consistent. And it involves recogniz ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Nov 4, 10:25:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, probably my most controversial view is my enormous hesitation to agree that God actually ordered the slaughter of infants in the Canaanite populations. Paul Copan's theories simply are not an answer to my concerns here, if for no other reason than that he is interested only in the narrow question of God's ordering full genocide, not God's ordering the slaughter of infants per se. (Many people don't know that.) This would be a fairly large error or at least apparent error in seve ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Nov 4, 10:09:

I'm inclined to affirm the historicity of a "local" (but extremely widespread) flood that wiped out the majority of humanity but not aboriginal populations in far distant locations. I'm quite unsatisfied with WLC's "mytho-history" approach. I suppose that, if we take the flood story historically even to this extent, then, yes, there would be animals on board and so forth. (I'm OEC, not YEC, though.) In that sense it would bear some resemblance to the "Ark Encounter," though somewhat looser. E.g. There would ... [More]

Comment posted by Andrew on Nov 4, 09:54:

Thank you for that generous multi-faceted response Lydia! You are a real gem in the body of Christ. I understand that in one sense you’re latest work is narrowly concerned with how we exegetically handle the Gospels and understand them to be reliable. However, I am curious as to how your perspective relates to larger issues of Inspiration and Inerrancy that continue to fester among evangelicals, which are not confined to the Gospels (and whether they can be fully harmonized) but leach out into other parts ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Nov 3, 12:30:

The reason that I first focused on the scholarly trends was because I was asked about why evangelical *scholars* read the Gospels in these ways. How exactly that filters down through various other layers--scholar/apologists whose primary credentials are in other fields, lay apologists, pastors, laymen--is a little more complicated. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Nov 2, 16:27:

Socially, Andrew, I think you are right though in your analysis of the appeal that this has to many who identify themselves as inerrantists. I'm just pointing out that the academic bias fits into that, directly or indirectly. And here there is just an enormous, overwhelming irony: Licona has said that he is an historian and cannot bring in his theological presuppositions about inspiration, that he has accepted these conclusions because of academic integrity as a matter of neutral argument. He said this in ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Nov 2, 15:17:

I do think, too, that even those not directly subject to the stresses and forces of academic culture are indirectly influenced by them. Take the sheer question of the *number* of allegedly intractable contradictions in the Bible and the *size* of them. Suppose you're a layman in the pews and you are listening to Licona or some other scholar who implies (whether or not he comes out and says it) that there are a lot of these. That's when it starts seeming psychologically burdensome, too hard, to take the tr ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Nov 2, 15:09:

Comment posted by Andrew on Nov 2, 10:49:

Thank you for pointing me to that interview, Lydia. And I freely acknowledge that these tendencies among certain evangelical scholars can at least partially be explained in terms of an academic loss of perspective, and other cultural forces that discourage harmonization. But I also noticed that you made the following point elsewhere in the interview: The idea is that if there isn’t a harmonization they think is plausible, and if they are speaking to an audience that isn’t likely to want to say there is an ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Nov 2, 02:17:

The scholars have gotten so used to doing far-fetched literary criticism on the Gospels (of a kind that I’m familiar with from my graduate studies in English literature) that they don’t realize how truly implausible their theories are. They confuse what strikes them as deep and cool with what is reasonable to attribute to the author. I have seen that: there is an actual premium on being able to piece together a wild-n-woolly-headed idea, and string one element with another with another, regardless of how t ... [More]

Comment posted by Callum on Nov 1, 18:58:

You would enjoy a guy by the name of James Begon on Twitter who I gather is some type of biblical scholar. He plays literary genius all the time. Case in point, he recently waded into to the apparent contradiction between Matthew and Luke concerning Judas' death. It was recently a point of contention in the Peter Williams and Bart Erhman conversation. He doesn't disregard the harmonisation by Williams, but specifically wants to answer *why* there are differences as opposed to why *how* they can be reconcile ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Nov 1, 17:34:

Andrew, I think you'll appreciate a recent interview with Cogent Christianity where I address that question. I'll cut and paste here just part of what I say there and then ask you to give them some clicks to read the rest: There are a lot of strands going into their theorizing. One strand is just that they have gotten used to being far too literary, to the point that they have lost touch with living reality. An example here is Craig Keener’s claim that John exaggerates how far Jesus carried his own cross i ... [More]

Comment posted by Andrew on Oct 31, 20:21:

Congratulations on your latest publication Lydia! I look forward to reading it. In recent years a number of evangelical scholars have claimed that the Gospel authors felt free to present events in one way even though they knew that the reality was different. I hope you don’t mind my asking, but what do you think is motivating evangelical scholars to read the Gospels in this way? I doubt it’s a simple matter of trying to gain respectability among “liberal” scholars; there has to be a more charitable interp ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Oct 31, 15:42:

The notion that they needed to "adjust" or "rearrange" the events or sayings to fit a "better" story is effectively saying that the Apostles themselves had inadequate basis to believe in Jesus. That is especially important when it comes to miracles and to the resurrection. If the disciples believed that the resurrection was physical, but if the actual resurrection accounts are embellished in their physical details, that does seem to suggest that they believed *unjustifiedly* that Jesus was physically aliv ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 31, 10:58:

I'm really looking forward to this. As Joe said, I get tired of so-called exegesis that attempts to "save" Scripture only to ultimately undermine all of Christianity and the Bible to boot. If the Apostles didn't think that the events of the Gospels actually happened, (a) why didn't they say so; and (b) then something else convinced them that Jesus was God, and that something else is EVEN MORE the right thing to have reported than any made-up events or sayings. And this is obviously true - so much so th ... [More]

Comment posted by Joe Lightfoot on Oct 30, 17:52:

I like books that lay out the points and argumentation clearly rather than those that are written (seemingly) to convince other scholars that the author has the "right" views/attitudes and deserves to be in the cool scholars' club. You may or may not be a person of note in conservative Biblical scholarship, but I'd imagine your argumentation carries the day. Looking forward to seeing what you write, especially if it sticks a pin in the literary conjectural balloon of purportedly conservative scholars. I h ... [More]

What does it mean to say that John "tweaks" history?

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Oct 28, 20:51:

The author of John would be running the risk that Jews could discredit his Gospel. that would be fatally damaging if exposed. Keener is sufficiently involved in his own literary theories that he would say that if they figured that out they would then discern John's theological theme by way of figuring it out. In fact, I think Keener believes that some (even many?) audience members did exactly that. That is what he means by "storyteller's surprise." And he repeatedly refers to the "well-known Synoptic tradi ... [More]

What does it mean to say that John "tweaks" history?

Comment posted by steve hays on Oct 28, 20:43:

Tony: "First, If John was written in the 90's, i.e. 60 years later, then the people who were alive and might have remembered would be in their 70s at least. Is there any strong reason to think that they would be confident and reliable if they said "heck no, it wasn't Friday, I remember quite clearly it was Thursday..." i) Actually, I incline to the minority position that John's Gospel was probably written in the 60s. I think the best explanation for the Prologue is that it was occasioned by the death of P ... [More]

What does it mean to say that John "tweaks" history?

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Oct 28, 19:42:

If John had actually wanted to "make" Jesus be crucified on the day the Passover lambs were killed, it's enormously unlikely that he would have done so in such a hyper-subtle way, a way that would probably be missed by many readers (especially Gentiles) and that would create confusion even among Jewish readers given the possibility of purification via washing at sundown. Making up a fictional scruple on the part of the religious leaders is an incredibly roundabout way to make such a point. He could much mor ... [More]

What does it mean to say that John "tweaks" history?

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 28, 18:55:

Whenever John's Gospel was written, there were lots of Jews in a position to know when Jesus was crucified. Steve, while I am all in favor of being particularly cautious in examining theories that John moved the day before accepting them, I am not sure your suggestion is much help. First, If John was written in the 90's, i.e. 60 years later, then the people who were alive and might have remembered would be in their 70s at least. Is there any strong reason to think that they would be confident and reli ... [More]

The Recent Zoo Synod and the Infallibility of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Oct 28, 14:53:

Heh. I was using "ex cathedra" in its role as a social category. Like "duly passed law." ... [More]

What does it mean to say that John "tweaks" history?

Comment posted by steve hays on Oct 28, 12:47:

But, Lydia, If Jesus rose from the dead, Christianity is true, so why get hung up on these pesky secondary issues? :-) ... [More]

What does it mean to say that John "tweaks" history?

Comment posted by steve hays on Oct 28, 12:21:

Whenever John's Gospel was written, there were lots of Jews in a position to know when Jesus was crucified. Although the generation of eyewitnesses was drying up, you'd only have to go back one generation to have many Jews living in Jerusalem at the time who remembered the day, something they could pass along to their kids. So if John redates the Crucifixion, there were Jewish readers who could say, "Uh, no, that's not when he died!" ... [More]

The evil of the zero-sum game knows no bottom

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Oct 28, 11:40:

There have been, and likely will be more, cases in which both parents are opposed to the "transing" of their child, and yet end up on the wrong side of judges ruling to sterilize and mutilate the child. Here is where I think united, sane parents can take the long view. Not sending your child to public schools is key. Within a solid, intact marriage of two sane people on this issue, it's the first and foremost step. Homeschool or send your children to a sensible private school that isn't going to indoctrin ... [More]

The Recent Zoo Synod and the Infallibility of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 28, 09:40:

I'll take that as a conditional: if there were such a thing as infallible ex cathedra statements, this one would qualify. :-) ... [More]

The Recent Zoo Synod and the Infallibility of Ordinatio Sacerdotalis

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on Oct 28, 08:58:

I can understand JPII and Benedict wanting to emphasize that JPII wasn't declaring something new. (And in this case I agree that it wasn't something new!) But that sure looks like an ex cathedra pronouncement to this Protestant! ... [More]

The evil of the zero-sum game knows no bottom

Comment posted by DR84 on Oct 27, 23:49:

"Is fleeing even possible? Besides Russia and Nicaragua, where could a parent flee with their children; and be reasonably certain, that you will not be extradited back to the pro-sodomite nation from which you fled?" I think this where I am stuck. If fleeing is not possible, and either continuing to plead in the courts or just doing nothing at all results in your kid being sterilized and mutilated, whats left? At least the dad in Texas is not yet in such a situation, but he could very well find himself in ... [More]

The evil of the zero-sum game knows no bottom

Comment posted by Thomas Yeutter on Oct 27, 21:27:

Is fleeing even possible? Besides Russia and Nicaragua, where could a parent flee with their children; and be reasonably certain, that you will not be extradited back to the pro-sodomite nation from which you fled? ... [More]

The evil of the zero-sum game knows no bottom

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 27, 11:25:

Chicken, that is what I meant by noting that it still requires the application of prudence: in discerning when active resistance is called for even though you will be caught and punished, and when inactive resistance is sufficient (not generating a positive disobedience to a putative "law"). In this case, (for example), if the father were to judge that he has 0 chance of escaping with the boy, he can actively flout the judicial demands that he call the boy a girl, for example, until he loses all parental r ... [More]

The evil of the zero-sum game knows no bottom

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 27, 11:15:

Lydia, I meant that we are not in the situation that calls for overthrow of the current regime of government. ... [More]