What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

What We’re Reading: “Drink, ye harpooneers!”

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 19, 22:54:

How about Aragorn's battle speech at the Gates of Mordor? Hold your ground! Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers, I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight!! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid ... [More]

What We’re Reading: “Drink, ye harpooneers!”

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 19, 18:43:

Paul, after that comment, I have to give you this poem, which I'll bet you've never heard of. I ran across it in a literature anthology we use for home schooling: Square-Toed Princes by Robert P. Tristram Coffin My ancestors were fine, long men, Their hands were like square sails, They ran the lengths of longitudes, Harpooning spouting whales. Men to put a twinkle in The proud eyes of their Maker, Standing up against the winds On the square toes of a Quaker. From Baffin’s Bay and Davis Strait To the Se ... [More]

What We’re Reading: “Drink, ye harpooneers!”

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Oct 19, 17:54:

That's a fine entry, Lydia. The thing is that you had to be a touch "round the bend" yourself, to sign up for one of these whalers. So even the sound wisdom of Starbuck, who instantly perceives the folly of Ahab's vow, and works hard to counter it, even unto the edge of dishonor, is overwhelmed by the necessities of sailing those hunter ships: the Captain's word is law, and he cannot gainsay it. Hierarchy, change of command, the commander is absolute dictator on a ship. Which is another reason why it is as ... [More]

Suffocated by Diversity: A Review of “Against Inclusiveness” by James Kalb

Comment posted by John Roesch on Oct 19, 16:27:

Contemporary liberalism is not liberalism at all but simply social democracy, a form of socialism. Classical liberalism is liberalism and is a flawed ideology as is socialism and it antithetical to human nature. Modern, contemporary liberalism/social democracy is a thoroughly corrupt ideology that can not with stand the impending crisis that it itself has created. Liberalism has brought western civilization to the brink of moral and economic bankruptcy. When the collapse comes it will be sudden and swift ... [More]

What We’re Reading: “Drink, ye harpooneers!”

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 19, 16:04:

Thanks for this post, Paul! I don't know how ashamed I should be to admit that I have never read _Moby Dick_. As for candidates for great oratory, I was surprised to discover how few candidates I have. It seems that great oratory has not been something I have focused on in my own study of literature. But, if I may be permitted to bring in English as opposed to American literature, I would back Tennyson's Ulysses: How dull it is to pause, to make an end, To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use! As tho' t ... [More]

What We’re Reading: “Drink, ye harpooneers!”

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on Oct 19, 07:34:

Two excellent points, Tony. I agree that the objective/subjective estimate of literary quality is a treacherous and forbidding question. Still, I would venture at least a few points of objective quality available to the careful reader's eye. Leaving Ahab's quoted words aside, just for the moment, there is the quality of the sparse but arresting descriptions surrounding the speech. The ingenuous innovation in converting parts of speech: Here Ahab "brimmed the harpoon sockets" -- a noun becomes a very vivid ... [More]

What We’re Reading: “Drink, ye harpooneers!”

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 18, 18:52:

Unlike those who know and teach about literature, I can never distinguish between oratory that I find worthwhile and oratory that really is good. I know what I like, but I can never pin-point what it is that makes it good. Or 'good, objectively' rather than good merely in my mind. I am more patient than many with literary diversions or side-essays on a multitude of theories in a novel, so coming across them in Moby Dick didn't actually bother me. But since this is a rather common thing in other noveli ... [More]

Good witch hunts

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 18, 18:45:

Having grown up with people, and then married into the family of people, who "started a small Christian school", I know what you mean - both of you. Yet there are a few people, whom God calls, for which this sort of undertaking is bread and butter, meat and potatoes, nay breath itself. They LIVE for the challenge of imposing on chaos some new order seen formerly only in their (and God's) mind. Or, they are God-made for managing others so that the others can achieve more than anyone reasonably thought. ... [More]

Good witch hunts

Comment posted by Zippy on Oct 18, 13:17:

Lydia: Sounds more like a nightmare. I can't tell you how much I have come to be grateful that 'closer to home' challenges have prevented me from becoming, um, institutionalized. ... [More]

Good witch hunts

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 18, 13:09:

I just like to be an authoritarian on a small scale. :-) Even so, I've evolved on that as well: When I was twenty-five years younger I _wanted_ to start and run a Christian college. It was a personal dream. Now I'm more of an authoritarian about how such a college should be run, but I would _never_ want to run a Christian college myself. Sounds more like a nightmare. ... [More]

Good witch hunts

Comment posted by Zippy on Oct 18, 11:18:

Everyone is an authoritarian. People who think that they are not authoritarians are still authoritarians: they are just sociopathic authoritarians. ... [More]

The zero-sum game: Christian college may lose accreditation for Christian moral policy

Comment posted by Mike T on Oct 18, 11:07:

Never heard of Gordon before this, but it seems to me that they are choosing an easy target to go after. Gordon on the face of it sounds like they're a much more traditional university than a 800lb gorilla like Liberty which, among other things, doesn't hesitate to fire professors who violate its moral code (which this accreditor would probably call closer to the Taliban than New England mainstream). The best defense for Gordon would be a good offense. They should reach out to Liberty and other large unive ... [More]

Good witch hunts

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 17, 18:32:

Well, it won't come from me. Nor will I disagree with your characterization of Mormonism. Though it might be "nicer" to say that Mormons are Christians in a looser sense, but not in the proper sense. I am not always nice. The big issue is authority and authenticity in an institution that is explicitly religious. While I sympathize with professors who have troubles with job security at an institution based on parsing some minor quibble of Revelation, I wouldn't say that their plight should be the fo ... [More]

Good witch hunts

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 17, 16:13:

Whatevs. I'm not going to debate Mormonism in this thread but yes, I do stand by my statements. A "follower of Christ"? In some vague sense, sure. As a prophet, etc. Not in the sense that the Apostle Paul or John would have meant "a follower of Christ." Which is what I mean here by "Christian." It is at least mildly amusing that at one and the same time you castigate me for "saying that Latter-day Saints aren't Christian" and castigate me for holding to the Trinitarian doctrine of the Nicene Creed, calling ... [More]

Good witch hunts

Comment posted by Zach on Oct 17, 15:29:

So, inclusive enough for theists, but keep those filthy Mormons out! As I've said before and I'll probably say many more times, those who say Latter-day Saints are not Christian are either not familiar with LDS theology, or they're not familiar with the Bible. I invite you to repent, however, and recommend to you the words of a living Apostle of Jesus Christ: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/10/the-only-true-god-and-jesus-christ-whom-he-hath-sent?lang=eng If you won't repent of the apostate do ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 16, 15:23:

I remembered the AALE, but I did not know why they lost their DoE recognition. I agree with your point about "Our inclinations do not form our identity" point. I would take the work-up against homosexual infection into the college and make it proactive in as many ways as possible. For one thing, in my opinion a Christian school ought to be able to say "as a teacher (or administrator), your employment here rests on your teaching and behavioral conformity to Christian standards, because "actions speak lo ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 16, 09:12:

Here's an ironic story about DoE recognition: There is an entity called the AALE, which is an alternative accreditation spin-off of the National Association of Scholars. It was specifically meant to avoid various forms of craziness that were feared in the 90's from regional accrediting agencies in areas like affirmative action and forcing schools to lower their academic standards. Patrick Henry College pursued both TRACS and AALE accreditation. The AALE refused to accredit them because of their "creationism ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 16, 08:55:

Congressional action would be very interesting, though unlikely. The whole accreditation process is interesting. In theory, the accrediting agencies are private--rather like trade guild qualification organizations. That is the sort of thing I usually prefer to see the least possible government interference with. On the other hand, various federal benefits are already tied to accreditation, as mentioned in the post. I would rather see no government involvement in accreditation. In fact, would prefer to se ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 15, 14:58:

It's a dicey business. Right now the relative independence of regional accrediting bodies is probably working in our favor to allow some pockets of freedom. SACS, the regional agency for the southern states, is less likely than the NEASC to impose this kind of faux "diversity" standard with respect to moral issues. If Congress or the DOE starts interfering more in what the regional agencies must or must not do in the vicinity of this issue, what is unfortunately more likely is that it will go the other way- ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 15, 14:50:

Congressional action would be very interesting, though unlikely. The whole accreditation process is interesting. In theory, the accrediting agencies are private--rather like trade guild qualification organizations. That is the sort of thing I usually prefer to see the least possible government interference with. On the other hand, various federal benefits are already tied to accreditation, as mentioned in the post. That Gordon would put people openly opposed to its policy on the working group is very trou ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 15, 08:49:

It's to be hoped that Gordon will not cave. But one wants to know why they formed the working group instead of telling the NEASC to take its accreditation and...go pound sand. Perhaps they are hoping Jesus will return or the world will end in the next year and the whole thing will become moot. It is to be hoped that Gordon will do more than simply "not cave." It is to be hoped, rather, that they take the fight to the barbarians instead of waiting timidly inside their ivory walls for the inevitable onslaug ... [More]

New post up about Paley's Horae Paulinae

Comment posted by John Krivak on Oct 15, 07:19:

Lydia, You frequently amaze! I think I must go back over the post while keeping a map and timeline to follow details that slip my mind in casual reading. But a few thoughts are readily kindled by your observations from Paley. First, I recall a great discussion of "unintended coincidences" in D.A. Carson's commentary on John, which tend towards the historicity of that often challenged text (which is thought to be so theological that it could scarcely be historical, ahem). Among its conclusions are that ... [More]

Roe V Wade All Over Again

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 13, 20:07:

Could be that the liberals don't feel certain they will get Kennedy's vote that a state ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional. So maybe they are biding their time until the practice is well entrenched in most states? Maybe waiting for 6 or 8 of the appellate courts to vote their way? ... [More]

Disgusting Behavior & Double Standards

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 13, 18:58:

I don't suppose there are Italian courts who uphold standards of decency against gay events where the gays' attire and behavior is contrary to decency? That would be fun. I would also love to see groups taking the same approach as Acts 17 and getting ready to film the anti-life behavior themselves. And plaster it on web-sites just as a starting point. I'm sure there are ways to prepare for this. What I don't have any feel for is how the Italian courts treat these things - whether they rubber-stamp th ... [More]

Roe V Wade All Over Again

Comment posted by c matt on Oct 13, 18:08:

That's five, without Roberts. SCOTUS has to have 4 of the 9 justices to choose hear a case. Which is why it still strikes me as odd that cert was denied. There are still some states banning gay marriage. If there are five without Roberts, and it only takes 4 to grant cert, why not grant, uphold the lower court(s) overturning bans, and bam, it's Miller time! All 50 done. It is not common to grant cert on cases you would uphold, but it is also not unprecedented (pun intended). Seems that progressives ... [More]

Disgusting Behavior & Double Standards

Comment posted by Mike T on Oct 13, 18:04:

Remember, this is Italy, not the US. Italian politics tend to be a lot more radical than ours. Their solution to illegal immigration by the Roma is to firebomb Roma camps, not meekly ask the police to go down there and beg them to leave. Heck, one of their parties even "joked" about having the Italian navy fire on African ships bringing in illegal immigrants. The way to bring down the gay rights movement is for conservative activists to shock the sensibilities of the mainstream by broadcasting the activist ... [More]

Disgusting Behavior & Double Standards

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 13, 12:35:

I suppose the police departments might just be predicting how they will be cast. One can imagine a cynical police department head who has few opinions of his own on the subject but knows that the media will crucify him and his men if pictures go around of them fighting homosexual activists (to protect pro-family activists) but that the media won't care if they just don't "happen" to show up on time to protect the pro-family activists. Therefore, he cynically concludes that his department will be better off ... [More]

Disgusting Behavior & Double Standards

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 13, 11:50:

I agree, It must take a particularly grotesque politicization / degeneracy within the police departments themselves to allow themselves to be taken in by this. That is, the effect of the media-fed mind-set that gays are "the good guys" and ordinary heteros are "the bad guys" isn't enough. They also have to swallow the deformed illogic that police (i.e. the formally appointed body authorized to act as society's agent of force) ought to use force on "the bad guys" to protect the violent, attacker gay "good ... [More]

Disgusting Behavior & Double Standards

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 13, 11:08:

I think it arises from the demonization of some groups (the pro-family groups) and fear of being harsh in the slightest to other groups (homosexual activists). In short, the police think no one will care if they allow the pro-homosexual activists to beat up the pro-family demonstrators but that people (driven by the media) will be very upset indeed if the police have to get tough with the pro-homosexual activists to prevent them from beating up on the pro-family activists. This same pattern is repeated in r ... [More]

Roe V Wade All Over Again

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 12, 16:10:

djf, I suspect that you may be right that Kennedy would vote for SSM being required by the Constitution, but there are some SCOTUS scholars who are not so sure. They think they see in Kennedy something more of a libertarian, who at least in theory could rule that SS relationships (i.e. sodomy) cannot be illegal but that nothing in the Constitution requires treating SSM marriage on an equal footing with real marriage. There is, at least for some purposes, a real difference between the state ruling somethin ... [More]

Roe V Wade All Over Again

Comment posted by djf on Oct 11, 22:05:

As to John Roberts, I don't think he will matter much if this issue goes before the Supreme Court. The four leftists and Anthony Kennedy - who wrote the Windsor decision throwing out the Defense of Marriage Act, which set off the current avalanche of pro-SSM decisions - are all sure votes to read a right to same-sex marriage into the Constitution. That's five, without Roberts. ... [More]

Roe V Wade All Over Again

Comment posted by Mike T on Oct 11, 19:06:

Marriage as a contract is difficult for the liberal state to adjudicate because the presumptions of marriage are anathema to marriage. Marriage is intrinsically hierarchical, authoritative and indissoluble by those who wish to exit. When children get in the picture, marriage also creates real authority that challenges that of the state where the family is concerned. ... [More]

Roe V Wade All Over Again

Comment posted by Thomas Yeutter on Oct 10, 21:56:

Kevin DeYoung is insightful: http://ow.ly/3szDig ... [More]

Anglican wussery on abortion

Comment posted by Beth Impson on Oct 10, 10:47:

Titus, thanks for that last information. I will pass it on and my husband and I will skip voting in the governor's race; I don't really want to vote for Haslam anyway, though he's better than the alternative. ... [More]

Roe V Wade All Over Again

Comment posted by MarcAnthony on Oct 10, 08:28:

Mike T, Exactly! If you like Mozilla, you pretty much get to keep it but without supporting the company itself. ... [More]

Anglican wussery on abortion

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 9, 16:47:

Heh, yes, with all the piety about how it's everyone's duty to vote on everything, no matter what, it would not go over very well to tell people that they should refrain from voting in the governor's race and vote only for the constitutional amendment. ... [More]

Anglican wussery on abortion

Comment posted by Titus on Oct 9, 16:14:

Matt, There are two rules at issue in the excerpt. The one relates to "intervening in candidate's campaigns" and the other is "influencing legislation." In the former case, the prohibition is absolute: any participation or intervention in a campaign on behalf of or against a candidate would violate the terms of the regulation. The latter case, however, is different. An exempt organization may attempt to influence legislation, so long as the activity is not a "substantial part" of its overall activities. ... [More]

Anglican wussery on abortion

Comment posted by c matt on Oct 9, 14:23:

26 USC 501(c)(3) Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private sh ... [More]

Anglican wussery on abortion

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 9, 11:40:

In addition, it will let those voting in favor skip casting a ballot in the gubernatorial race, which, in Tennessee's crazy system, makes it easier for the Amendment to pass. This intrigues me, Titus. Why is that the case? ... [More]

Anglican wussery on abortion

Comment posted by TItus on Oct 9, 10:46:

If you are one of these people, I have a message for you: you are loved, accepted, and forgiven in Christ. I accept you, and I believe our entire congregation accepts you. You are more than welcome here—you are dearly loved. That's a possibly true statement, but not a necessarily true statement (except that I've never understood what "accept[ance]" is actually supposed to mean in this context). It's possible that all those people are forgiven, but it's certain that they are amenable to being forgiven. The ... [More]