What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

Update on Coeur D'Alene wedding chapel

Comment posted by Mike T on Oct 31, 10:32:

Some states have passed laws which prohibit the enactment and enforcement of local gun ordinances. Something similar should be done on things like "anti-discrimination" statutes. It would be a good move to strip the municipalities of all power on this matter and delegate upward to the feds. The state could then coyly claim to have no authority to enforce federal law, thus requiring the feds to respond to everything. (As general rule, forcing the feds to do all of the dirty work is the fastest way to make t ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 29, 20:00:

Jordan, about the possibility of a non-toxic environment in a public school: yes, it certainly is possible. Why, my mother was taught in a public school, and it wasn't toxic. So it must be possible. Of course, that was 80 years ago. Today, while still possible to have a child now starting to finish public school without living a toxic atmosphere, the odds have gone down considerably. If you are willing to grant that to be true, all that is really left is deciding whether the probability has sunk to ... [More]

Another day, another jihad attack

Comment posted by whirlwinder on Oct 29, 17:07:

Lydia, just link to www:thereligionofpeace.com. They keep up with jihadi attacks. There have been 24,212 since the 9/11 attacks. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 29, 16:42:

By the way, do you deny that what is ordered in the materials linked in the main post is brainwashing? And do you deny that the nature of the content in question is toxic? If either of these, I think that shows the type of difference of priorities I am talking about. This isn't just a sort of joke: "Oh, how silly those educators are. They should put this stuff on The Onion." This is a matter of seriously messing up little kids about the nature of reality, or at least trying very hard to do so. By the way, ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 29, 15:50:

you have some strong opinions about a public school system you were never in and never put your kids in. Perhaps you should read some of the other comments in this thread. Read Jeff's comment about how his children came osmotically to believe that gay is good from their schooling, for example. It is possible to be informed about a system one has not personally experienced, and what I have said here has multiple confirmations. If I may say so, your own comments about life on the farm suggest to me that you ... [More]

Comment posted by Jordan S. on Oct 29, 15:02:

As far as I am concerned, parents should have gotten their children out of the public school if at all possible years ago. To those who have no other options ... my deepest sympathies go out. But for others, not so much. Jordan, you have been a polite interlocutor, and I have tried to respond in kind, but I ask you to consider that perhaps you don't know what you are talking about here. I have a grown child who is *over twenty-one years old*. I have two younger children. I know _exactly_ how this thing is w ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 29, 11:51:

But you don't have that level of control. Jordan, you have been a polite interlocutor, and I have tried to respond in kind, but I ask you to consider that perhaps you don't know what you are talking about here. I have a grown child who is *over twenty-one years old*. I have two younger children. I know _exactly_ how this thing is working out for us, and you don't. Moreover, this is a matter of probabilities, which you give a very strong impression of not caring tuppence about. What if your kids see les ... [More]

Comment posted by Jordan S. on Oct 29, 11:17:

I completely disagree that what home schooled kids encounter, at least the way I'm working this thing, is at all the same *at the same ages*. But you don't have that level of control. What if your kids see lesbians kissing at the mall? Or perhaps you would never take them to the mall. What if a public-schooled kid in Sunday School or youth group tells them about a meaning of "gay" that's not "happy"? Or perhaps you don't put them with the public-schooled kids at church. Do they overhear an adult in the chu ... [More]

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Oct 29, 10:46:

Lydia, You hit the nail on the head with this: So, no, it isn't at all alike. The books assigned for teaching, the language used, and the *sheer amount of time spent in an "accepting" atmosphere* are not at all the same at the same age. In fact, the very age at which a child so much as knows that there is such a concept as "gay" or "homosexual" is entirely different, and that in itself makes a difference to the likelihood of acceptance. This is personal for me -- in some sense I have failed my children. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 28, 20:46:

I think it can be handled by wise parents the way it would be in the case of homeschooled children who will, at some point, encounter it. I completely disagree that what home schooled kids encounter, at least the way I'm working this thing, is at all the same *at the same ages*. Now, anybody can grow up, become a white collar worker for Pfizer, and be sent to propagandistic sensitivity training. At the age of twenty-two. Or, to back it up somewhat, anybody can run into _some_ of that at college, but I'll ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 28, 20:20:

I want a lot more for my children's education from their most formative years and on to young adulthood than for them to make it through it without losing their faith! Absolutely. For myself and my wife, that's exactly our experience too: we remember being in schools where it was a major, full time battle to keep your faith intact in school and emerge from it still a Christian but not necessarily with a mature, expansive, flourishing faith. And (for us) that was in shoddy Catholic schools that were tryi ... [More]

Comment posted by Jordan S. on Oct 28, 20:12:

But again, Jordan, are we necessarily saying kids will lose their faith? No, we aren't necessarily saying that. No, you're not. But you've described public schooling as "toxic", "programing", "brainwashing". Beth called it "deadly to soul and to mind". There's nothing like relentless propaganda and "my best friend is gay" and all the rest of it to create confusion in the minds of the young. Of course, I would deny that public school is _relentless_ propaganda. It is occasional propaganda. I think it can ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 28, 18:52:

You know, Jordan, I want a lot more for my children's education from their most formative years and on to young adulthood than for them to make it through it without losing their faith! We're talking about where they spend 30-plus hours per week of their most mentally alert time, about the majority of their friendships, their social group formation, their worldview formation, the adult authority figures placed before them. I believe I can do much better for them than public schooling along multiple axes, wo ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 28, 18:41:

I also think you overestimate how badly kids from loving families want to fit in and are willing to conform. I had a loving family and _desperately_ wanted to conform. I was just lucky enough to be sent to Christian schools and in particular to an even more narrow-minded Christian school for high school than for K-8. But again, Jordan, are we necessarily saying kids will lose their faith? No, we aren't necessarily saying that. I don't see anywhere above where I or anyone else has stated that. So I think ... [More]

Comment posted by Jordan S. on Oct 28, 18:28:

Given how bad the Christian schools were 40 years ago, I wonder how my parents and their five kids ever made it out of the public schools with their faith and good sense in tact. Thus I conclude that you underestimate parental influence (vis-à-vis peer pressure and teachers' influence) and overestimate the amount of time wasted on controversial material (e.g., not arithmetic) in the classroom. I also think you overestimate how badly kids from loving families want to fit in and are willing to conform. ... [More]

Comment posted by Beth Impson on Oct 28, 17:13:

And I shouldn't write after a day of grading wretched papers. All typos above are inadvertent and the product of an exhausted mind and too much exposure to illiteracy. ... [More]

Comment posted by Beth Impson on Oct 28, 17:11:

Just for the record concerning those conservative pockets of the country. Let me tell you about rural TN. Academically, TN is always in the lowest 5 states in the nation, and I can attest that it belongs there, having had to try to teach its graduates for the past 15 years. (Oh, and it was amazing how the test scores spiked when they switched from the nationally normed Iowa to the TCAP . . . and yet the students remain hopelessly unprepared. Thanks, NCLB.) And it was a rural TN school that had a wonderf ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 28, 13:03:

Well, yes, there is also the odd assumption that bricks-and-mortar schooling is the default setting, by the natural light (or something), and that home schooling is undertaken only as some sort of counsel of desperation. I have not even addressed this assumption, but Marissa's comment touches on it. Home schooling itself is more a way of life than simply a method of education. To some degree the importance of that way of life is a matter for each family's choice, but many of us who home school cannot imag ... [More]

Comment posted by Marissa on Oct 28, 12:49:

There is a level at which the prudent play is to homeschool, but working parents don't always have that luxury. Of the homeschooling parents I know, it is not a luxury. It's a hard sacrifice. Rarely do these parents take their children out of school "at the first sign of trouble". The parents I know are Catholics; the first sign of trouble was the institution of public schools in order to brainwash Catholic children out of their papist beliefs. And that was more than 150 years ago here in the United St ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 28, 12:05:

Retreating from the local school at the first sign of trouble The first sign of trouble???? That's almost enough to leave one speechless. This is by no means the "first sign of trouble." In fact, the public schools have been getting increasingly worse for the past fifty years! There is a level at which the prudent play is to homeschool, but working parents don't always have that luxury. Yeah, I said that. Working parents also sometimes have to put their babies into daycare. Is that also mandated by the ... [More]

Comment posted by GW on Oct 28, 11:17:

I'm a little late to the party, but Jordan is spot on. Retreating from the local school at the first sign of trouble is cowardly and contrary to Paul's command in 1 Corinthians 16:13 to "act like men." There is a level at which the prudent play is to homeschool, but working parents don't always have that luxury. Knowing what your kid is being taught, developing good relationships with the teachers and administration, taking an active role in PTA/extra-circular activities, and "home educating" are all ways C ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 27, 21:03:

Jeff, that's fine, I'm not tweeting my whistle. Here's an interesting tie-back to the main post: Are there actually educational reforms on the structural level that, in our current cultural milieu, would make the kind of wicked nonsense in the main post less likely in the public schools? My fear is that the answer there is no. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if there are plenty of private schools that teach that same type of wicked nonsense. I mean, it's nice that tax dollars aren't subsidizing it, bu ... [More]

Update on Coeur D'Alene wedding chapel

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 27, 20:54:

It was an interesting confluence of local politics and judicial supremacism. Actually, ID as a state had resisted the homosexual agenda, but recently federal judicial orders were taken to institute same-sex "marriage" there. Coeur D'Alene is, I would guess, not the most conservative town in Idaho. (It's something of a tourist trap.) They had passed a non-discrimination ordinance which was bad enough in itself, and it then intersected with the institution of same-sex "marriage" by federal judicial fiat. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 27, 19:18:

They didn't think the high school needed a new Olympic-sized swimming pool, fancy gym facilities for the football team, etc., etc. Hear, hear! Cash strapped Catholic (and other) schools have consistently turned out quality education, even in black urban areas, without college-level labs and Olympic level sports facilities. You just don't need them for basic education. The people pushing these usually have too much money and not enough sense on their hands. I agree there is the more basic question of ... [More]

Update on Coeur D'Alene wedding chapel

Comment posted by JD in PA on Oct 27, 18:57:

Let's hope that the facts are not lost here: Events were proceeding toward a prosecution of the Knapps for violating the non-discrimination ordinance. And in Idaho, no less. Or am I missing something here? Is Coeur d'Alene the Provincetown of the Idaho panhandle? ... [More]

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Oct 27, 17:36:

Lydia, I'm not sure how much you care if this thread turns into "how to reform our current system of public education", but until you tweet your whistle, I will continue to offer comments: 1) "Where there is not a lot of local money in the form of property taxes pouring in (because the local area is impoverished) and where only the poor are the "customers," the whole place becomes a madhouse--drugs, gangs, violence, the whole works." Liberals certainly make this argument, but I think it is pernicious and ... [More]

Update on Coeur D'Alene wedding chapel

Comment posted by c matt on Oct 27, 16:34:

It was a trial balloon. Apparently, this one popped. Next time, who knows? ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 27, 14:43:

You can well imagine, though, the outcry if it were proposed that only the poor should qualify for state-funded K-12 education. I can predict exactly the lines the argument would take, and to some extent the empirical predictions would be correct: It would be predicted that state-funded education only for the poor would be lower in quality than what we presently have and that the atmosphere would be even more dangerous. To some extent, that is probably true, as it is what we already see in the inner city pu ... [More]

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Oct 27, 14:12:

Lydia, I think what my tentative reform proposals were trying to do you summarize with this sentence: "All the more reason to decentralize education and privatize." What I don't like, for many reasons, is that hard-working tax-payers (i.e. me!) are forced to pay for public schools and then not use them. Hence, my suggestion related to vouchers and/or tax credits. However, perhaps the better way to go is simply end all state support of education for most people except for the truly needy -- then you wou ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 27, 13:59:

And, of course... state-funded Muslim schools!? It's funny you shd. mention that, because a problem along those lines has arisen with charter schools in the U.S. As indicated, I'm generally a little more positive toward charter schools (which are public schools) but still would much prefer not to send my child to one. However, if I knew an impoverished family whose parent(s) had to work, so couldn't home school, and who could not afford private school, I would suggest that a charter school might be _somewh ... [More]

Comment posted by Jordan S. on Oct 27, 13:22:

John Tory, now running for mayor of Toronto, was the leader of the Ontario Progressive Conservatives some years back. He floated the idea of publicly funding other religious schools besides Catholic ones. It was a dumb idea, since most folks sending their kids to private Christian or Jewish schools don't want full funding anyway, for the reasons mentioned. (And, of course... state-funded Muslim schools!?) ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 27, 13:10:

I used to be a strong supporter of vouchers but have had to change my opinion from watching how things have historically developed. For example, Canada is a cautionary tale in the way that public funding of Catholic schools has seriously, seriously undermined the schools' ability to keep its identity. (See link above.) In the U.S., it appears that even the acceptance of funds by Christian schools under George Bush's faith-based initiatives (apparently for various special needs programs) has subjected the sc ... [More]

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Oct 27, 11:19:

As someone who sends his children to public schools, a couple of thoughts: 1) Obviously, some schools are worse than others and YMMV depending on the school system and the specific school with respect to how bad liberal indoctrination is going to be; 2) As an example of the good and bad one finds in some local schools today, my kids still start the day with the Pledge of Allegiance (including "under God"!) but the Christmas show is now the "Winter Assembly"; 3) While I think I've been lucky with respect ... [More]

Comment posted by Beth Impson on Oct 27, 09:49:

What one must do at home is teach the student good critical thinking skills and reverence for The Lord. Armed with these things, they should have not trouble seeing the triteness of the silly arguments by the teacher. In one of my very rare disagreements with MC (but only partial), five- and six-year-olds *can't* be armed in this way. They aren't ready for it cognitively or any other way. They are still vulnerable and dependent on what their elders tell them and cannot make the distinction between what t ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 27, 09:27:

Chicken, I think both you and Tony are right. That is, certain areas are worse than others, and telling the student, in essence, that his teacher is a crazy political liberal doesn't necessarily mean teaching the child to disrespect his teacher's knowledge of mathematics. Moreover, your qualified statement that "it is possible to inoculate to some extent" is of course true. But Tony's point which you quote is *a* reason, in addition to many others, for making it a priority to educate one's children in oth ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Oct 27, 09:20:

First, while Lydia's strategy may be the best one in the short-term for anyone who can manage it, by itself it is just that: short-term damage control. Keeping one's children out of toxic waste is a good idea, but it won't do anything to either clean up the waste or to prevent future pollution; mutatis mutandis for toxic values. Philosopharmer, I'm not _entirely_ sure what you are implying should be done. I myself would like it if "public school" could go back to meaning the local, parent-supported schoolh ... [More]

Comment posted by The Masked Chicken on Oct 27, 09:06:

"But in addition, even when you are successful in "countering" any silly teaching that comes out of the public school, you have yet another problem: you have then successfully undermined your child's trust and respect for legitimate authority. The more you say "you don't need to / shouldn't believe in what the teacher says" the more you display for the child a (false) view that authority is subjective, or that the right of an authority to command your compliance is always and inherently debatable." That is ... [More]

Comment posted by PhilosoFarmer on Oct 26, 23:48:

Two quick things: First, while Lydia's strategy may be the best one in the short-term for anyone who can manage it, by itself it is just that: short-term damage control. Keeping one's children out of toxic waste is a good idea, but it won't do anything to either clean up the waste or to prevent future pollution; mutatis mutandis for toxic values. Second, it may be instructive for readers of this blog to consider the words of Charlene Cothran on how gay advocacy often works. Cothran is a former lesbian an ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Oct 26, 23:04:

If parents are capable of teaching their kids at home, they are capable of countering any silly teaching that comes out of the public schools. Boy, that's a zinger, Jordan. Not only is it wrong at face value for the reason Lydia gives, it is wrong psychologically and materially as well. On the surface, in the after hours the parents rarely get anywhere near as much "quality time" to de-program as the teachers and school and other kids get, to hammer a message home - what with household chores, homework, ... [More]

Comment posted by Steve P. on Oct 26, 23:03: