What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

Was Jesus Buried in Joseph of Arimathea's New Tomb?

Comment posted by ChristSeeker on May 24, 18:39:

Mark's Gospel is the product of an eyewitness and an important one at that. So I don't think Matthew would have any qualms with referring to an already published written account of Jesus to refresh the memory or "fill in the gaps." For all the similarities the Gospels have, it's hard to understate the differences as well. I mean, just compare the differences in Luke's pericope about the Temple destruction to Mark's. Sure, they might have some of the same words, but it's by no means a word for word carbon ... [More]

Comment posted by Bonald on May 24, 17:52:

Thank you, Lydia. This is exactly right. As an aside, I wish conservative intellectuals would retire the word "gnostic" for a while, since it has come to mean anything we don't like (rather like "fascist" on the Left). There was nothing utopian about what the Religious Right fought for, and I don't think there is anything they could have done better to avoid being ridiculed and demonized by the media. People often say that we should be focusing on the culture, but I'm not sure what that is supposed to m ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on May 24, 01:20:

This is not particularly insightful, but I think it is true...the main factor in the losing is simply overwhelming force. That said, as of now, I'm not convinced the culture war has been truly lost. If it had been, faithful Christians and others who share our views with respect to human nature and sexuality would be truly as locked out of power and influence as the Uighurs are in China. We would also face some sort of systematic system to identify us so that we could be controlled and/or eradicated. When ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on May 23, 18:08:

The Roe decision has been a huge degrader of culture, and if it could have been reversed swiftly, much less degradation would have occurred. I would also add that the SCOTUS decision to make Homosexual Marriage legal in all 50 states has also been a huge degrader of culture. ... [More]

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on May 23, 11:54:

"For example, the errors Christians made in the Church that called for reform, that created the environment that needed reforming men and women, led to the result that there would be reformers and their reforms. But those errors did not CAUSE the errors and sins of the reformers who rejected the good with the bad, or those reformers who went on to propose heresies in response to bad practices. Or those reformers who invented bad philosophy to justify rejecting bad practices." Sometimes people who espouse a ... [More]

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on May 23, 11:24:

"Successful politics certainly helps!.....Culture is surprisingly resilient. I'm not saying populism will save us. I'm saying not letting the liberal elites force their craziness on everyone would arrest a lot of cultural degradation." Absolutely. I'm not arguing for political quietism. I just think that we tended to make too much of the political to the detriment of the cultural, and it sort of backfired on us. "No doubt there WERE Christian mistakes....But that's neither here nor there for the point bei ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on May 23, 10:23:

But at the same time, I fear that some of the failures in the culture war can indeed be traced -- at least to some extent -- to historic Christian mistakes... No doubt there WERE Christian mistakes. Every Christian who is still a sinner makes mistakes, and even those saints who succeed in avoiding being constant sinners in all serious matters still make less-than-perfect choices now and then, choices which lessen the success of Church in achieving the good. But that's neither here nor there for the po ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on May 23, 09:26:

There was always this underlying idea that we could arrest cultural degradation by means of politics. Successful politics certainly helps! I think it's worth remembering how much of this *is* top-down. This is true on other issues as well. Think of how many states passed marriage protection amendments in the 90s. And then it was all swept away by the Supreme Court. The Roe decision has been a huge degrader of culture, and if it could have been reversed swiftly, much less degradation would have occurred. St ... [More]

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on May 23, 06:17:

"I can't really agree about the time period I have in mind. Francis Schaffer made a huge difference to that for Protestants in that time period. And necessary cultural work was the reason why they were starting their own schools. It took place concomitantly with political work." I realize that, having been a big Schaeffer fan in the 80's. But despite his influence I think that we had the proportion of the one vs. the other pretty much backwards. There was always this underlying idea that we could arrest ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on May 22, 18:32:

;-) Anyways, with regards to Blaming the Losers, I think you might find these two Scandinavian women in agreement with you, Lydia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=KhC-iYn0FZU "You cannot understand the world only from a political view point. We are in a spiritual warfare and not just a political struggle, " says Iben Thranholm, Danish theologian and journalist, who strongly criticizes the anti-religious, illiberal elites for not respecting our traditional faith. Thranholm states that ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on May 22, 15:23:

I am not amused. But I appreciate your intention to compliment me. ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on May 22, 13:35:

Lydia, in my prior comment above about Trump, I forgot to include what I originally intended to write. My thesis is that in the aspect of fighting *against* both the Forces of Evil and "The Genteel" you and Trump are a lot alike, lol! One is in the political arena, and one is in the Christian Church arena, and frequently the twain shall meet! Eg., The Genteel are frequently derided and scoffed at by the Conservative Base as "RINOs." For example, John McCain, Mitt Romney, John Boehner, et al. Trump figh ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on May 22, 10:43:

Our concentration on partisan politics distracted us from necessary grassroots cultural work, NM, I can't really agree about the time period I have in mind. Francis Schaffer made a huge difference to that for Protestants in that time period. And necessary cultural work was the reason why they were starting their own schools. It took place concomitantly with political work. ... [More]

Comment posted by Doug on May 22, 07:13:

An enemy may attack a castle or location not because it is weak but because it is strategically so valuable. Of course. But a smart enemy always attacks the strategically valuable location where it is weakest. The Lord of Creation clearly said that the gates of Hell will not prevail against his church. But within a few seconds He also challenged His second-in-command for being entirely out-of-sync with the program. The same thing happens today. When Christians are obsessed with things that are not critica ... [More]

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on May 22, 07:03:

"What conservatives were trying to do in the 80s was not to build a Gnostic utopia but to restore some remote semblance of the sober, reasonable, and distinctly non-utopian vision of the American founders. And they were doing so not in any revolutionary way but by working as good citizens within the very mechanisms set up by the U.S. Constitution itself--electing people to public office, trying to pass Constitutional amendments, opposing bad constitutional amendments, pressing elected Presidents to appoint ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on May 22, 00:24:

Regular readers of this blog know that I am a proud Never Trump conservative, so nothing I am saying here says anything about how one should vote in the 2020 election, except "not Democrat." I was a Never Trump from the 2016 primary and through the 2016 General Election. I voted 3rd party. But I wasn't in a Swing State. Since then, given what Trump has done so far in his term, he has earned my vote in 2020. (As background, I was fairly disgusted that the GOP elected Trump because I bought into the lib ... [More]

Comment posted by Joe Lightfoot on May 21, 20:57:

The forces of evil (I do not hesitate to use that term) are the ones who have fixated on sex and sexual practice and are destroying our culture from that vantage point. They are having a lot of success. We had to "fixate" on that because that was the side at which the attack was coming and the place where defense was necessary. And it still is. There are some other such places (killing the elderly, for example). But I have (I must admit) little patience with people who criticize Christians for "fixating" on ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on May 21, 16:49:

Yes, TUAD, I have seen that many times. Well, I guess this post is my answer to "what is to be done." I tell the Dr. Moores that they are wrong and try to encourage the faithful. :-) ... [More]

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on May 21, 16:21:

Now, let's get back to work supporting our brothers and telling the truth for those who have ears to hear. Have you ever witnessed genteel brothers and sisters who did not support brothers who tell the truth for those who have ears to hear? Or perhaps worse, the "genteel" criticized and even undermined faithful brothers and sisters? If you have, how do you respond biblically to these genteel scolds? Let me speculate reasonably. Suppose in some important regards, both Dr. Horton and Dr. Moore are who yo ... [More]

Comment posted by Joseph on May 21, 12:11:

To clarify, I'm not saying that I think it's a good thing that people are taking a softer stance. I'm just observing that this is in fact what is happening, and the fact that it is happening is for me what puts the lie to the idea that evangelicals are close-minded, unwilling to compromise, unable to see or care about the psychological pain people experience, etc etc. In other words, everyone who is operating out of the (mistaken) notion that the left is acting in good faith, just wants "the same rights as ... [More]

Comment posted by Geoff on May 21, 11:37:

//I wonder how much of our "disagreement" (not even sure we are there yet!) on the topic of education is due to chronology. After all, the Catholic church's counter-reformation has plenty to approve. But it came *after* the mistakes of the Catholic church that drove the Reformation, even as the home-school movement came *after* the mistakes of the church with respect to education.// Not sure if it's pertinent to the thread, but the Catholic Counter-Reformation unleashed the monster of skepticism onto the w ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on May 21, 11:12:

The forces of evil are primarily concerned, not so much with sex per se, but with any weakness to be found in the church of Jesus Christ. That those forces fixated on sex and sexual practice is strong evidence that the church had (has?) such a weakness. Doug, I just do not agree with this at all. The forces of evil certainly do exploit weaknesses, but they also create them. We cannot at all reliably infer that Christians must have had a weakness in some area from the fact that Satan focuses his fire power ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on May 21, 11:07:

On the other hand, I see plenty of movement in the evangelical world toward a softer stance on it, which indicates to me that (particularly young) Christians are taking seriously the notion that preaching harshly against those who experience same-sex attraction is counter-productive. I think taking a softer stance on homosexuality is not a good thing. Nor is "preaching harshly against those who experience same-sex attraction," at least as I would use that phrase, the only alternative to "taking a softer st ... [More]

Comment posted by Joseph on May 21, 10:22:

For a time I shared this view, that evangelicals had done a lot of harm in the culture wars because we hadn't done a good job "listening." What I now see is that constantly accusing a person who is acting in good faith of "not listening" will cause them to reflexively silence themselves as an act of good faith in order to ensure that the accuser has had adequate opportunity to make their case. This generally has one of two effects: either they will be beaten into submission, saying things like, "I now see t ... [More]

Comment posted by Doug on May 21, 09:22:

I wonder how much of our "disagreement" (not even sure we are there yet!) on the topic of education is due to chronology. After all, the Catholic church's counter-reformation has plenty to approve. But it came *after* the mistakes of the Catholic church that drove the Reformation, even as the home-school movement came *after* the mistakes of the church with respect to education. The forces of evil are primarily concerned, not so much with sex per se, but with any weakness to be found in the church of Jesus ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on May 21, 08:33:

Well, I don't know what you have in mind for all of your examples. The many examples that I gave show exactly the opposite (in the demographic I have in mind) of complacency about dangerous educational trends. It may go without saying that I disagree strongly with any within the Christian cohort who kept on sending their kids to public schools, saying it wasn't that bad or wouldn't get that bad or their 10-year-olds needed to be "salt and light" or any of that. But *that* group was not the target of Horton' ... [More]

Vincent Lambert case update

Comment posted by Lydia on May 21, 08:26:

And, reversal again. A French court has ordered his food and water restored: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/breaking-miracle-new-court-decision-orders-hospital-to-halt-starvation-of-vincent-lambert Good for all the Frenchmen who are rallying for his life! ... [More]

Comment posted by Doug on May 21, 08:02:

Excellent. Thank you, Lydia. I recognize the wisdom and necessity of all you've written. But at the same time, I fear that some of the failures in the culture war can indeed be traced -- at least to some extent -- to historic Christian mistakes. It may be of benefit to call them out (e.g.): - losing the Way (i.e., satisfaction with orthodoxy - Truth - and orthopraxy - Life -- Luke 18:18-30)? - focusing on Christian "fruit" (tolerance? family? marriage?) at the expense of the Christian "root" (John 15:1-5) ... [More]

Vincent Lambert case update

Comment posted by Lydia on May 20, 10:49:

Doctors have removed Vincent's nutrition and hydration and are going to terminally sedate him to hasten his death. This article's reference to a "court order" appears to be misleading, as the court did not order *that* his nutrition and hydration be removed but only that the doctors are permitted to remove it. https://menafn.com/1098543347/Doctors-start-halting-support-for-vegetative-Frenchman ... [More]

Vincent Lambert case update

Comment posted by Lydia Mcgrew on May 19, 15:43:

Is there a fundamental lack in them of the mental/emotional capacity to consider themselves in the very same position where they said they would rather die than have X, but when push comes to shove they don't ACTUALLY feel that way now that X is here? So much for bleeding-heart sympathy. In many cases there is a really twisted kind of pseudo-rationality going on. It goes something like this, "It would really be rational for me to die in that circumstance, so even though I can imagine being upset by it, thi ... [More]

Vincent Lambert case update

Comment posted by Tony on May 16, 16:15:

Yes, it does seem that when the legal arrangement, and the philosophical underpinnings, explicitly give more weight to an earlier desire to die, and less weight to a later desire not to die, the mask slips and the consumming aspect of the culture of death rears its ugly head and its wide maw. One wonders whether the Withers, Frost, and Hardcastle blokes "in charge" (for the moment) will ever quite experience the horror of their theories when the functionaries come for them, or will only experience it after ... [More]

Practical steps.

Comment posted by liam on May 14, 12:31:

junior ... [More]

D-Town sports mania

Comment posted by Paul J Cella on May 13, 12:55:

Well, son of a beesting. Both teams lost all their games since I posted this. Eff that. [lots of bad language] Hard to take those Ls. Last time I ever blog about Denver sports. ... [More]

Antarctic France

Comment posted by Lydia on May 12, 13:27:

It sounds like he would have fit in very well in the world of Facebook and Twitter wars, and done less harm to boot! ... [More]

Was Jesus Buried in Joseph of Arimathea's New Tomb?

Comment posted by Nice Marmot on May 10, 06:23:

~~~A lot of deconversion stories that I've read have the same sort of flavor. (Latest story read: Tim Sledge's Goodbye Jesus.) Raised in a strict "fundamentalist" milieu, then runs into skeptical arguments for the first time, and the whole Christian ediface comes tumbling down....But the skeptical arguments have been answered time and time again, e.g. the subset of Ehrman to which I've been exposed says nothing that I haven't heard already.~~~ When I first heard "skeptical arguments" about Scripture as an ... [More]

D-Town sports mania

Comment posted by Tony on May 8, 21:21:

I wish I could watch. But we just moved, my in-laws are moving and we are helping, and we have 2 graduations. Maybe if I "accidentally" hurt my back I can create some game-watching time. It's very plausible. ... [More]

Was Jesus Buried in Joseph of Arimathea's New Tomb?

Comment posted by Michael J. Alter on May 6, 06:53:

Hello Joe and Celsus: You wrote: I know of his background and his deconversion. RESPONSE: I appreciated and enjoyed reading your comment about Bart Erhman’s deconversion. Deconversions occur on all sides of the religious aisle. And, in reality it is a personal decision made for a host of reasons. Recently (and later today again – they open at 7:30 am), I will be visiting the Moody Bible library. In their collection (and those of other libraries I have visited (Garrett Theological, Wheaton, etc.) a numbe ... [More]

Was Jesus Buried in Joseph of Arimathea's New Tomb?

Comment posted by Celsus on Apr 30, 16:52:

It turns out there were other stories in antiquity where graves, resting places and tombs are left empty. The theme employed in the Jesus story is the "missing body" or vanishing/disappearance motif. Since what we have is an established literary motif then, as such, it is equally expected the author of Mark would write such a narrative employing the motif as he would write such a narrative because it actually happened. Given this fact and that we have no independent attestation of the story (Matthew and Luk ... [More]

On that (in)famous "saints rising" passage in Matthew 27

Comment posted by Ben on Apr 29, 09:53:

While doing some reading elsewhere I found a quote related to the literary device theorist topic I thought some here might find interesting if they don't already know about it. “In battling against people who would subject historical studies to the dictates of literary critics we historians are, in a way, fighting for our lives. Certainly, we are fighting for the lives of innocent young people beset by devilish tempters who claim to offer higher forms of thought and deeper truths and insights—the intellec ... [More]

Was Jesus Buried in Joseph of Arimathea's New Tomb?

Comment posted by Rad Miksa on Apr 27, 17:51:

You wrote: Thus, even if the author is not known, a reasonable belief can be formed of the account’s likely veracity (or not) based on the account itself. RESPONSE: I respect your opinion, but disagree (as do others) with your assertion. The above was in the context of whether we can reasonably believe in the Gospels even if they are anonymous. Now, as a response, first note that I am only agreeing that the Gospels are anonymous for the sake of argument, for I hold that their authorship can be readily su ... [More]