What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by John Fraser on Jan 31, 19:16:

Jeffrey, Thanks for bringing that article to our attention. I suppose if I was more with it in this area I would be more familiar with Chait and the other writers whose names have come up here. Maybe it's because I've lived in Eastern Europe for most of the last 12 years, or maybe I spend too much time in the bubble of the conservative blogosphere. The piece by Davis goes along with my penultimate paragraph in the o.p. and my speculation that some lefties are finally realizing that political correctness ... [More]

Homosexual attraction is not a good at all

Comment posted by Lydia on Jan 31, 16:53:

Sure, totally understand. As I say, if it helps anyone, I expect it to help people who are feeling ambivalent about the matter or who need some encouragement that they aren't mean and crazy for not accepting the CHI position. ... [More]

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Jan 31, 14:56:

John's OP and the comments are all excellent -- great, thought-provoking stuff. One thing that hasn't been pointed out, however, is the irony of Chait as the original author is the pot calling the kettle black after all these years: http://thefederalist.com/2015/01/27/language-policing-doesnt-pervert-liberalism-it-is-liberalism/ Just another data point is the "PC is dangerous" file! ... [More]

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by Tony on Jan 31, 14:45:

Also, the way that the rules of political correctness are enforced is simply draconian. It is sometimes mind-blowing to see how virulently these people react against transgressors, and they show an utter lack of civility and basic decency to those who transgress... As Christians we don't want to give offense (1 Cor. 10:32), but it becomes impossible in an environment where the slightest perceived offense ("microaggressions" anyone?) is met with the most virulent condemnation and public shaming. John, thou ... [More]

Homosexual attraction is not a good at all

Comment posted by Martel on Jan 31, 14:42:

Lydia, I'll see what I can do. By the way, I'm not an official liason for these people or anything; just someone who reads and, from time to time, comments on some of their blogs. ... [More]

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by Lydia on Jan 31, 12:13:

I find that it is helpful to discuss these things on the grounds of the truth and falsehood of particular concrete views, and what views are actually implied or even encouraged by terms, rather than on the grounds of offense. Hence, I defend using the term "black" rather than "African-American" on grounds such as that the latter carries a lot of extra political baggage which I might not share while the former is more neutral, that the former does not in fact convey contempt for the minority group, and that ... [More]

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by John Fraser on Jan 31, 10:28:

Lydia, I think there is a real tragedy with political correctness in that it does embody a valid impulse of not wanting to give unnecessary offense to anyone, but because of the ridiculous nature of its excesses (not using titles like "Mr." and "Ms." to avoid offending transgender people for example) are so outrageous that many ordinary people will simply run screaming in the opposite direction. Also, the way that the rules of political correctness are enforced is simply draconian. It is sometimes mind-blo ... [More]

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by Terry Morris on Jan 31, 10:20:

William, I disagree that "government schooled kids are especially susceptible" to the effects of the principles of political correctness. Keep always in mind that many of these very same children who are government educated also have parents who are dyed-in-the-wool, true believing liberals who themselves attend "Christian" churches filled with the same sorts of congregants. Some 20 years ago now (hard to believe for me, but it has been that long!) my wife and I had enrolled our two oldest children in a C ... [More]

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by John Fraser on Jan 31, 10:12:

wfb, The Redskins name is, I think, a good example of the problem with political correctness. For the vast majority of ordinary Americans the name was wholly unobjectionable and nobody ever heard it used as a racial slur. They had to be told repeatedly that it was offensive because it used to be a racial slur and then they had to be bullied into changing their opinion (as many have) by being told that if they supported the name they were racist bigots. In a way it's a good test case of how much you can swa ... [More]

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by Lydia on Jan 31, 10:04:

Okay, a further thought: Sometimes a short, pithy word is so objectionable that it _has_ to be replaced, and the only available replacements are inevitably going to be longer words or phrases. I think this has occurred in the last sixty years or so concerning the mentally disabled. Words that used to be used for children with Down Syndrome were "monster" or "idiot." Obviously, these would not do in a society that wanted to show compassion to these people and to try to treat them as fellow human beings. Ind ... [More]

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by Lydia on Jan 31, 09:56:

I don't know much about Brown but gather she regards herself as a libertarian rather than a liberal. Hence her example of using the term "sex worker" and being annoyed when people called it "political correctness." If I've figured out (from her venue, partly, because otherwise I know nothing about her) where she falls in the political spectrum correctly, this is a somewhat interesting example. She, presumably, used "sex worker" instead of "prostitute" because she thinks prostitution should be legal and inte ... [More]

Sharia Law Comes to the U.K.

Comment posted by Zara on Jan 31, 09:32:

This piece of writing provides clear idea in favor of the new people of blogging, that actually how to do blogging. ... [More]

There Is No Such Thing As Political Correctness

Comment posted by williamfrancisbrown on Jan 30, 20:31:

Agreed, political correctness seems to trump almost everything in it's power. A good example is the current administration's inability to name the religion that almost every terrorist holds. The larger the organisation, the worse the political correctness seems to be. That sort of thought control holds the most egregious consequences. BTW, I doubt that anyone (including American Indians) really every gave the name of the Redskins the remotest thought until they were told over and over again that the ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by MarcAnthony on Jan 30, 15:31:

Also, common core is an awful, horrible, evil abomination, and we should kill it with fire. ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by MarcAnthony on Jan 30, 15:29:

It is a fact that some people simply aren't as intelligent as others. This, in fact, is the main reason that U.S. public schools test badly, not teacher quality. We are more multicultural than most, and some races tend to produce more people of lower intelligence than other races - mostly minorities. Of course Finland is kicking our butts in testing. They're far more homogenous racially. Politically incorrect? Of course, but pretty much every statistic you'll ever find will bear this out. ... [More]

Homosexual attraction is not a good at all

Comment posted by Truth Unites... and Divides on Jan 30, 14:04:

"I think it is a point that the CHIs and their apologists should be mature enough to confront without [them] getting angry. (This, by the way, is a point that Ruse has made. If we're supposed to be having a "conversation" about all of this, why are the CHIs supposed to be treated with kid gloves, with their defenders acting like anyone who argues with them is being mean? Aren't they sufficiently mature and intelligent people to engage in serious conversation and to handle calmly stated criticism?" I should ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by DeGaulle on Jan 30, 13:31:

While teachers may well be of a high standard, it seems to me that there are far too many going on to university-type education. There are certainly far more than used to be the case. It seems indisputable that mean intelligence must decline and, if so, it is impossible for even the best of teaching to compensate. The liberals, of course, assert that we are all equally intelligent but the quality of the graduates seems to give the lie to this. Sadly, many of the graduates are convinced of their great intell ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by Lydia on Jan 30, 12:54:

maybe your conscience is pricking you for ignoring the role of mockery in those killings. Yeah, that's gotta be it./sarc Actually, I've argued at length that the "role of mockery in these killings" is extremely minimal. Both sides have erred. That kind of talk makes me sick. Who "erred" in the murders *as part of the same attack* of the people in the kosher deli? Justified on the grounds of France's opposition to ISIS? Ignorant rant hits it pretty darned well. ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by jo on Jan 30, 11:44:

Marc Anthony, Fine , I admit I was carried away a little, I have been reading too many blogs over the last few days and they were all filled with such hatred and despise of one religion over the other,one community against the other, rich countries against the third world. It really was too much to take in , just had to voice out that all needed a broader perspective and peace. Ya I'm neither Catholic nor Muslim, infact I'm a Hindu. Just want a peaceful, world! ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by Tony on Jan 30, 08:07:

Mike, in both the white collar and blue collar areas, there is a place for the analytical types that dig into a problem on their own initiative and solve it, and room for the types that wait for someone to tell them what to do and then they do it. You are correct that running your own business in the skilled trades requires a lot of mental horsepower. But being an apprentice plumber working at someone else's direction, or even a journeyman plumber working for a company and under the direction of a master ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by MarcAnthony on Jan 30, 07:56:

In fact, some programs like "education" have been shown to be statistically so low on average IQ and test scores that the average student probably couldn't successfully do basic construction work. Depends on the state. The state I'm completing college in has an extremely rigorous education program. It's probably a harder program than every subject but the STEM degrees, and depending on what subject you teach it can be COMBINED with a STEM degree. Different states have different requirements. Of course, st ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by Tony on Jan 30, 07:44:

MA, it isn't worth it. Really, it just isn't. ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by MarcAnthony on Jan 30, 07:37:

jo, You really need to stop digging yourself into this hole. For one thing Lydia isn't Catholic. For another, you have totally and completely misunderstood the post, and sticking to your guns in this case is making you look foolish. Just admit you were wrong here and move on. ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by jo on Jan 30, 01:58:

Lydia , ignorant rant? Oh please I know very well what the main post is and I have commented after reading comments posted above. Don't give me that ignorant rant nonsense , when it's really because you couldn't answer my questions...maybe your conscience is pricking you for ignoring the role of mockery in those killings. You don't even respect your own Pope then what's the point in trying to make you acquiese other religions. Like I said you couldn't accept deviations written about your religion in a book ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Jan 29, 21:35:

Mike, Well, they can do basic labor, as you suggest -- and having them compete for those jobs involving basic labor (picking crops, tough physical factory jobs, etc.) with immigrants is a bad idea. Close the border!!! ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by Mike T on Jan 29, 21:28:

Ok, they could probably do menial construction tasks, but anything that required independence and thought would probably be beyond them. ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by Mike T on Jan 29, 21:28:

Jeff, College isn't for everyone, but those who are on the left side of the curve wouldn't make it into the skilled trades either. I would hazard a guess that it takes a higher IQ and work ethic to make it into most skilled blue collar professions than to pass many college programs today. In fact, some programs like "education" have been shown to be statistically so low on average IQ and test scores that the average student probably couldn't successfully do basic construction work. ... [More]

Homosexual attraction is not a good at all

Comment posted by Marissa on Jan 29, 18:23:

Thanks, Lydia. I thought my comparison wasn't great, because the opposite-sex attraction which celibate religious and priests have is natural, but still, it would just be strange for them to parade around about how wonderful their personal attraction to members of the opposite sex is, though I see nothing wrong with them celebrating the general (chaste) attraction between the opposite sexes. Your description of occasions of when it would be appropriate to do so are very good. ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by Tony on Jan 29, 17:48:

Now, man, weakened by sin, has defects in his imagination that allow him to consider (these are temptations) sinful objects and actions, which can form the basis for jokes. Christ has no such defects, so any jokes he would make would be in perfect accord with right reason. Ours may not be. Finding a sinful joke to be funny can only happen with imperfect man, I don't think this argument works. Bad humor isn't ONLY found in sinful objects and actions. Let me give an example: The adulterous woman is brou ... [More]

Repeat After Me:

Comment posted by Tony on Jan 29, 15:51:

If it is a separate property and you are charging rent, clearly they aren't "in your debt" or "in your personal space" in any way like a guest living for free inside your own home is. So, what you are saying is that once I decide to offer the apartment for others' use, I lose the right to have any perspective on why, how, to what extent, etc I am going to rent it out. In other words, it doesn't MATTER what kind of contract I actually intend to enter into, as soon as somebody out there chooses to call it " ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by The Masked Chicken on Jan 29, 14:23:

"That the conditions required for humor are not possible in God." Or, they are super-present, because God can see all contingent realities. You wrote: "There is a considerable body of theory that says nothing is funny to God." I, once, argued this point with the philosopher/humor scholar John Moreall. First, off, I would like to make a guess that the body of theory you refer to is not primarily about God's humor competence, but a more general theology from which this conclusion is drawn. There is, as ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by Lydia on Jan 29, 12:40:

Actually, that's a particularly ignorant comment, since the main point of the main post is that Christians should _not_ speak in any way as though violence is an appropriate response *even to mockery of Christianity*. As far as "Jesus teaching us to make fun," it entirely depends on what is meant by "making fun," and the distinctions among various meanings of that phrase would be lost on a commentator who just rants ignorantly, so I won't bother trying to explain them. Suffice it to say that as a general ru ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by jo on Jan 29, 11:03:

So you are all saying its perfectly alright and correct to mock at other religions and that only your religion is high and above all? Whatever you do is right? So if it was 'just' a joke then come on let's indulge in more...you yourself go and morph pictures of your Jesus Christ , make funny caricatures about him and publish them on social media and international magazines, we all would like to have a hearty laugh. If all is well and fair for you then why was a certain novel of Dan Brown criticised and mad ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by Jeffrey S. on Jan 29, 10:28:

Tony and Lydia (and Paul), I will add to your excellent comments (and Paul's excellent original post) a note about the elephant in the room: no matter how much we do to help some people, even private, church-run efforts to help the poor, there will be those who just don't do well in school. IQ is normally distributed. Ironically, that makes me agree with the left-wing nut-job quoted by Paul: "We have to think about how to give these kids a meaningful education." For me, however, this means thinking ab ... [More]

Homosexual attraction is not a good at all

Comment posted by Lydia on Jan 29, 09:49:

Thanks, Martel! I'm very glad you found the post valuable. I'm very happy for it to reach a large audience. I have to admit, though, that my main hope as far as convincing or moving anyone is directed to those who have not given this a lot of thought or who are on the fence. Or perhaps those who are merely somewhat inclined in the CHI direction. As I indicated in the post, most of what I am saying has been said before. I'm merely putting my own emphasis on it. To my mind, the CHI position is quite _obviousl ... [More]

Homosexual attraction is not a good at all

Comment posted by Martel on Jan 28, 23:33:

Lydia, Excellent post! I was wondering if you might be willing to formally reach out to Eve Tushnet, and perhaps arrange for a dialogue on this matter on her blog? I believe it's important that your well-developed thoughts reach a wider audience. Another good forum for the dialogue could be Leah Libresco's blog (Unequally Yoked). Leah (who is a Catholic convert) recently read Tushnet's new book on this subject, and has written a few posts pertaining to it. She would love hosting this kind of discussi ... [More]

Repeat After Me:

Comment posted by Step2 on Jan 28, 22:21:

I have the right to be intrusive on guests I have in my home, because it's my home. Once again you are ignoring some crucial differences. You certainly do have the right to be severely intrusive to guests in your home because you aren't charging them rent and also because you are living under the same roof - so their behavior is essentially unavoidable for you. If it is a separate property and you are charging rent, clearly they aren't "in your debt" or "in your personal space" in any way like a guest l ... [More]

Don't Insult the Pope's Mom - Or Else

Comment posted by Tony on Jan 28, 22:13:

Would they be funny to God? There is a considerable body of theory that says nothing is funny to God. That the conditions required for humor are not possible in God. One of the conditions for humor, for example, is the limitation implied in NOT seeing the connectedness of all truth (or, at least, being able to flip/flop between seeing it and not seeing it in a specific truth). So, the possibility that a joke is not funny to God doesn't necessarily mean it isn't funny to us limited humans. In any case ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by Lydia on Jan 28, 22:10:

This is not poverty but the Fall. Directly or indirectly, all poverty is due to the Fall. It might be due to it through disability (natural evil, a result of the fall), mental illness, or injustice of various kinds, but after the Eschaton there aren't going to be any more poor people as we would ever understand that term. Therefore, any time we try to oppose or fight poverty, by whatever means, we are trying to counteract _some_ effect, often very indirect, of the Fall. So the problem here is, it seems ... [More]

What need means

Comment posted by Mike T on Jan 28, 20:54:

The other thing to note is this: everyone knows that single-parent families, out-of-wedlock births, deadbeat dads, all contribute to the both the actual poverty of kids AND to the poor outcomes for those kids even adjusting for income level. You could scarcely create a more effective machine for creating social chaos than our current family law policy. Many of these things can't be fixed just by appealing to people's consciences. The state will have to get involved and probably ruthlessly so in certain sec ... [More]