What’s Wrong with the World

The men signed of the cross of Christ go gaily in the dark.

About

What’s Wrong with the World is dedicated to the defense of what remains of Christendom, the civilization made by the men of the Cross of Christ. Athwart two hostile Powers we stand: the Jihad and Liberalism...read more

Recent Comments

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 8, 17:29:

Just learned from PJ Media about another pre-enforcement challenge filed by the ADF, this one in St. Cloud, MN. https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/12/07/christian-videographers-suing-to-serve-only-hetero-weddings/ https://www.adflegal.org/detailspages/case-details/telescope-media-group-v.-lindsey The ADF is obviously really,really wanting a test case to go to the SCOTUS. I hope when it finally happens they get a good ruling. Notice how cleverly they are choosing their clients for these preemptive enforcem ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 8, 10:14:

Just a thought here, but another distinction that is obvious to me is one based on speech or conduct that indicates affirmation of a same sex "marriage". I think it ought to be possible make a distinction even in law between expressive conduct that one is "selling" and non-expressive conduct. Anything involving participation in a celebratory or symbolic occasion, for example, could be defined "in." Anything involving the use of one's artistic gifts in such a way as to send a message (baking a cake, etc.), ... [More]

Undesigned Coincidences in the OT: The Revolt of Libnah

Comment posted by Matthew Williams on Dec 7, 23:10:

Enjoyed the post. ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Dec 7, 19:02:

It seems obvious to me there is a difference between having a baker tell you that they won't make you that special cake you want for whatever reason and a motel operator manager telling you that they don't have a room for you. That motel operator actually could put someone's life in jeopardy by not letting someone have a room based on some arbitrary reason or dislike. Perhaps that person they turned away dies en route to another motel because they are just too tired to drive or dies overnight in their car ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 7, 17:06:

Here is an interesting question: Why has no legislative body ever, in the history of the West (I think this is true), that legislates on discrimination, attempted to make a distinction between different kinds of public accommodation? For example, no legislation that I am aware of has ever restricted itself to "essential services," with an attempted definition thereof, such as you just gave. None has ever attempted to, on the other side, expressly state that it does *not* apply to "expressive services" su ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Dec 7, 14:04:

I think many people have just lost all perspective here. The wedding vendors are not involved in any kind of life or death business. No one needs a special cake made for them or flowers arranged for them. Concerns about racist discrimination with regards to lodging, food, and basic retail are much more valid, the possibility of wedding vendor racism does not even compare. In another variation of the racial analogy, some are now raising the "horror" of a Christian baker refusing to make a cake for the wed ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 7, 08:55:

Your last paragraph, DR84, and a "what the heck" feeling I happen to have this morning, leads me to make a rather controversial comment: The homosexual activists want to make an analogy here to race and to interracial marriage. They are completely wrong, and that is disgustingly insulting to people of a variety of races, including those who are married to each other. Moreover, anyone who had such a hang-up about racial issues that he would refuse to do a wedding cake, calligraphic invitations, flowers, etc ... [More]

Undesigned Coincidences in the OT: The Revolt of Libnah

Comment posted by JPaz on Dec 7, 05:55:

Excellent as per usual. I've been missing reading my dead apologists- gonna treat myself over Christmas to some more. ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Dec 7, 00:46:

It looks like Joanna and Breanna lost their test case and are currently appealing the decision. In the mean time, it appears like they are still in business so they presumably could face the full penalty of that "anti discrimination law" if they would refuse to make "wedding" invitations for just two men or women who happen to engage in homosexual conduct together. I would assume they remain free to refuse if it is more than two men or women and/or if those men or women do not identify with or engage in h ... [More]

Undesigned Coincidences in the OT: The Revolt of Libnah

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 6, 21:03:

It was political. Jeroboam didn't want them to go to Jerusalem to worship. He wanted to provide an alternative form of worship that would keep everything within his own kingdom, thus separating the north yet further from the south. No doubt trying in some sense to "have it both ways" is a clever political ploy, but the OT speaks of it pretty harshly, and rightly so. In any event, in a couple-sentence summary of the separation of the north and the south kingdoms of Israel, my deliberate and careful phrase "f ... [More]

Undesigned Coincidences in the OT: The Revolt of Libnah

Comment posted by Tony on Dec 6, 19:36:

Lydia, another great example of UC. Thank you. I understand the sin of Jeroboam was to rework the worship of YHWH to a Canaanite type of ritual where YHWH was imaged as a calf (hearkening back to Aaron's golden calf at Sinai), including YHWH having an Asherah as a consort. Given the explicit condemnations of making graven images in the First Commandment, I would say that trying to morph the worship of YHWH with an image of a calf was definitely a violation of the commandment. And (as Lydia says) the c ... [More]

Undesigned Coincidences in the OT: The Revolt of Libnah

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 6, 17:01:

Certainly there is a distinction. But Scripture always regards the worship of the calves as a *form of* idolatry and condemns it for that reason over and over again. ... [More]

Undesigned Coincidences in the OT: The Revolt of Libnah

Comment posted by John Baskette on Dec 6, 16:38:

Terrific article. Interesting material on the revolt of Libnah showing an OT coincidence as intended. I do want to make one comment. You write, "...while the latter [Israel] went after false gods of one sort or another right from the outset of the divided kingdom period, beginning with the worship of the calves in the time of Jeroboam." I understand the sin of Jeroboam was to rework the worship of YHWH to a Canaanite type of ritual where YHWH was imaged as a calf (hearkening back to Aaron's golden calf ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 6, 15:54:

Actually overturning Obergefell wouldn't help the Kleins. If I recall correctly their case was going through long before. And in any event it's based upon state anti-discrimination law. (Indeed, the photographer case in New Mexico went through *purely* on state anti-discrimination law even before New Mexico recognized civil unions, much less homosexual "marriage.") How the judges rule will depend chiefly upon their interpretation of the first amendment and how it applies in this case. ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Dec 6, 15:02:

Or I suppose in an extreme instance we could get an originalist justice who denied the incorporation doctrine altogether and hence refused to strike down or require the modification of any state or local law on first amendment grounds! I see this as the most worrisome for any new judges appointed by Trump. When you are fully within the "rule of law", you want originalist judges ruling like this. But when you have departed from federalism as the rule of law for some time, and have had judges usurp powers ... [More]

Is Jahi McMath breathing on her own?

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 6, 14:43:

There are simple, common, highly likely explanations for the vent panel readouts you see. Simple, common, and highly likely, huh? Go for it. None involve miraculous brain stem regeneration. I never said that anything of the kind happened. I am *open* to the possibility that the brain stem has been functioning to some degree all along. I'm not dogmatic about it but open to it. There are at about five recorded cases of brain dead bodies that were successfully maninated on a vent for as long or longer tha ... [More]

Is Jahi McMath breathing on her own?

Comment posted by acumenata on Dec 6, 14:33:

@ Lydie, RE: "I take it that you are of the opinion that the "breathing on her own" claim is a fake." No, I do not think it is "fake". Fake implies intentional fabrication. I don't think that's the case here. The only thing I've seen that I can unequivocally call fakery was Attorney Dolan's statement to the press about the MRI he displayed in his 2014 press conference. That was blatant and shameful misrepresentation, as any neurologist or radiologist can confirm. Was it intentional? I'm inclined to think ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 6, 12:55:

If the 9th circuit rules badly, the SCOTUS can overrule. If they rule well (by accident?), the SCOTUS can also overrule. I don't see that abolishing the 9th circuit is going to help all that much, except insofar as (I suppose) the SCOTUS is sometimes too lazy to take up a case from them, one way or another, and just leaves it as they have ruled. Meanwhile, abolishing one whole circuit is going to slow down all of these cases, which kind of need to wend their way up to the SCOTUS eventually, as it's pretty m ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Dec 6, 12:16:

Between this and the new reality that that future court decisions in these areas are no longer so certain things are looking brighter. I hate to be too pessimistic, but these "future court decisions" may take a long time to get here. First of all, Trump has to get his judges seated. I accept that he is likely to get a pick for the SC seated relatively quickly: I suspect that even Dems have little stomach for a fight that would have to pitch them as standing athwart the presidential power to pick an SC ju ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 6, 10:28:

The court power arises from two things: First, the connection to "non-discrimination" law, which in turn connects any enforcement to various *state* guarantees of freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Second, the incorporation doctrine, which means that state laws are not supposed to violate the First Amendment of the *federal* constitution. In a sense, you can think of the power that the courts have as arising from the *defenders* (the good guys). What I mean by that is this: If nobody ever challenge ... [More]

Is Jahi McMath breathing on her own?

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 6, 09:22:

That's because evidence sometimes cuts in more than one direction. It is *widely acknowledged* that it is quite unexpected for a truly whole-brain-dead body to continue to have a regular heartbeat when sustained only by a ventilator. Generally the heartbeat becomes irregular eventually. Three years is a *long* time and *not* expected if whole brain death has truly occurred. You guys on the other side are using the argument from silence that, if she were truly "not brain dead" we would have a larger consensu ... [More]

Comment posted by DR84 on Dec 5, 23:42:

Were criminal penalties such as jail time part of civil rights era legislation? As for Breanna and Joanna, I have only read about them seeking a pre-enforcement challenge. I have not heard about any refusals to make invitations from them. Maybe someone made an inquiry after they made their challenge public? Seeing as we are going to have endure Trump either way; hopefully we will at least get judges that will put a halt to the worst of these things happening. My apologies if this is too far off topic, ... [More]

Is Jahi McMath breathing on her own?

Comment posted by Rodney on Dec 5, 20:51:

I find that Lydia's statement "The idea that this just happens readily is, to my mind, implausible" is hard to believe in light of the time that continues to pass while Jahi's family have not moved to prove that she is not dead. Time passes and Jahi has not improved. In fact, the most recent pictures show her face extremely huge and bloated. If Jahi really were following commands and breathing on her own then at this point they would have actual Medical Doctors affirming this both publicly and in court. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 5, 17:35:

Ah, thanks for the info. I'm waiting to see if Jack Philips will be able to keep his business going without baking wedding cakes for *anybody*. I gather that's the direction he is going, but it didn't sound like too sanguine an economic prospect. As to your last question, I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it went back to civil rights era legislation, at least at the state and local level. ... [More]

Comment posted by KJJ on Dec 5, 13:50:

Colorado's strict law had jailtime when first passed in the mid-2000s but was amended in the legislature to prevent Jack Phillips from being jailed. "The punishment for refusing to make a special cake for a gay wedding was $500 and one year in prison per charge" http://thefederalist.com/2016/09/06/how-a-cakemaker-became-an-enemy-of-the-state/ Many ordinances are based on model legislation from national advocacy groups. Which activist groups were pushing criminal penalties? Or is the root in original civi ... [More]

Comment posted by Nobody special on Dec 5, 12:50:

I am not a protestant and I even don't know to what denomination Craig belongs nor do I care. I'm trying to make a good evaluation of ideas and arguments as far as I am able to do so, without caring to what denomination sommeone belongs. Just because many of his ideas are wrong (at least in my opinion) does not mean that his other ideas have no value and that someone cannot learn from him (and others). One should always have an open minded (not in a "liberal" sense) and critical attitude without prejudices. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 5, 11:57:

of course, being a dyothelite is a predisposition for saying correct things about Santa Claus, everyone knows that Heh! I agree, NS, with what you are saying and implying. But I fear Anon is turning into some kind of Macho Catholic type of troll, so I hope we can avoid encouraging him to answer your question. I'm trying to restrain myself from all the comments I'm tempted to make. ... [More]

Comment posted by Nobody special on Dec 5, 11:34:

of course, being a dyothelite is a predisposition for saying correct things about Santa Claus, everyone knows that..... Does it follows than from such a line of reasoning that Craig is not right in assuming that God exists or that Christianity is true if some of his believes and ideas are incorrect or have certain errors? ... [More]

Is Jahi McMath breathing on her own?

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 5, 10:47:

Some arguments from silence do have force. Yours depends on "would do" or "would have done" premises that I am not in a position to evaluate, though you are stating them with great confidence. It's worthwhile to remember (as a reader pointed out to me) that the claim is not that Jahi is breathing *entirely* on her own or even the 14 breaths per minute but rather that she is *adding* two or three breaths per minute to an underlying number produced by the machine. Even if this is the case, this is, indeed, bo ... [More]

Is Jahi McMath breathing on her own?

Comment posted by acumenata on Dec 5, 07:07:

@ Lydia RE: "I see no evidence in that set of documents at Dr. Pope's site that, every time some new item of evidence arises, Jahi's family is expected to file a new document presenting it." They *are* actively responding as new things arise. Last week, the defendants in the malpractice case filed a motion to unseal medical records from the December 2013 hearings that contradict their current claims. The Plaintiff's attorneys filed a same day opposition to that, and immediately scheduled an interim hearing ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 4, 19:15:

Monothelitism is obviously super-relevant to whether or not Craig is right about the topic of this post. I can't thank you enough for bringing it up. Or maybe not. ... [More]

Comment posted by Anon on Dec 4, 18:15:

William Lane Craig is a monothelite (i.e., a heretic). He contradicts the canons of Sixth General Council of the Church claiming that the Bible told him otherwise. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 3, 13:06:

I hate to throw around the word "Victorian," but there really is something of the 19th-century and early 20th-century errors surrounding sentiment that seems to come out in the idea that it's good to believe falsehoods in childhood. This worldview contains several erroneous ideas. For example, 1) Positive, pleasant sentiments, especially surrounding family, are absolutely good in themselves and justify whatever gives rise to them. 2) Children are angelic little creatures with a special insight into the Ot ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Dec 3, 11:38:

I want to follow up on what CJ says, above. While it is arguable that there can be SOME increased level of childhood enjoyment of Christmas that comes precisely from the feelings that are elicited because they think the Santa myth is real, it is also arguable that there is no appreciable increase. The relative experienced “value” is not cut and dried, empirically obvious. Again anecdotally, my experiences suggest more probably the latter: there is no significant increase from kids thinking the myth is tr ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 3, 09:45:

I'm going to throw in a connection here that may sound strange: I'm not the sort of person to get "messages from God," and I've never witnessed a miracle. I have had one incident (we're talking one in my whole adult life) in which I concluded upon sober reflection that it really looked like God specially moved a stranger to write me a letter to address something that was on my mind. This has been a big, big deal to me. It would be difficult to exaggerate. The feeling is one of great awe: Concluding that som ... [More]

Comment posted by Tony on Dec 2, 18:45:

But Santa is far from the only myth that children believe wholeheartedly and later discard. Avoiding stepping on cracks, the ability of the blanket to protect you from monsters, the monsters under the bed themselves... Like Lydia, I did not believe in these wholeheartedly. Unlike either Lydia or Stephen, I did not believe in these AT ALL, in any way, shape or form. Somehow, this did not damage my childhood. The Santa myth is told to increase the delight of both child and parent in Christmas; that it ... [More]

Comment posted by CJ on Dec 2, 17:56:

I've been wanting for a long time to do semi-serious research on whether St. Nicolas really punched Arius in the nose. Why do you want to ruin everyone else's fun? Just let us enjoy the holiday myth-making in peace! :-) Neither my parents nor my wife's did the Santa thing so we didn't do it with our kids either. I've been told more than once that we're "robbing" them of something, but their love for the Christmas season says otherwise. ... [More]

Comment posted by Lydia on Dec 2, 13:53:

I have to admit that I also think concerted efforts at such pre-emptive quashing might actually do more harm than good, given how they always tend to play out in actual practice. If you get used to adding, "Now this is only a story, but -- " in front of every traditional childhood myth, it strikes me to be just as likely that the children will add that disclaimer themselves once actual Gospel and Biblical teaching is brought up. Skepticism is a habit that can be taught by example just as easily as belief. ... [More]

Comment posted by Stephen J. on Dec 2, 13:21:

I should add as a follow-up here that I actually played Santa Claus for my own sixth-grade class, back when I was eleven -- I was a ham and a performer and the teacher felt like giving me an outlet for it -- so I am not coming from a place of wishing I'd been able to maintain my own childhood belief longer than I did. But I got an example very early on of how much fun it was to play the fantastic Gift-Giver figure, so that may also explain my own nostalgic fondness for the myth. ... [More]

Comment posted by Stephen J. on Dec 2, 13:13:

I talk about Santa because that seems to me the most widespread instance of a situation in which parents *deliberately* and at *great length* attempt to play a kind of practical joke on their children by teaching them that literal statements are true when they are, as the parents know, false. To be honest, I'd have to say that for me this is an example of a significantly blurred distinction. As a great despiser of practical jokes, from having had them played on me all too often in my adolescence (I had th ... [More]