I am indebted (I suppose) to Steve Sailer for drawing my attention to this:
And I am indebted (I suppose) to The Brussels Journal for drawing my attention to this:
Well. What is there left to say about hideous crapola of this sort, foisted on us by the "art-world" and their big-money/big-government friends?
Nothing, really. It's all been said before. Yet it just goes right on, day in, day out, year in, year out, decade after decade.
But still, familiar as it all is, I can still be shocked by the sheer, embarassingly grandiose, idiocy of it all:
“'The cave is a metaphor for the Agora, the first meeting place of humans, the big African tree under which to sit to talk, and the only possible future: dialogue, human rights,' says Barceló. Using postmodern rhetoric which closely mimics that employed by Zapatero, Barceló describes his new work as 'reaching towards the infinite, bringing a multiplicity of points of view.'
"The 1.500m2 (15.000ft2) ceiling, which was co-unveiled on November 18 by King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain in the presence of UN Secretary General Ki-moon, is being hailed by the Spanish government as one of the UN’s most important works of art [sic]. Some are even comparing Barceló’s new 'symbol of multilateralism' with Michelangelo’s work at the Sistine Chapel.
"As Spaniards debate the artistic value of Barceló’s ceiling, however, excitement has turned into anger as Spanish taxpayers learn that they will be the ones footing the bill. The 13-month redecoration project has cost more than 20 million euros, all of which is being paid for by Spain. Some 60 percent of the money is coming from a group of Spanish companies that presumably have been pressured into joining a special NGO set up by the Spanish foreign ministry to 'promote dialogue through the use of Spanish art.' The remaining 40 percent is being paid for by the Spanish government, including 500,000 euros that were taken from Spain’s overseas development aid fund. Barceló, who insists that the money was not 'stolen from the poor,' will walk away with 6 million euros for his 'long, hard, fun and ultimately orgiastic' efforts."
Well ain't that special. Who would ever have guessed that Multiculturalism can make money for YOU! - NOW!!!
At least the possibility exists that the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art might go bankrupt and have to close it's doors. But can that happen to the E.U.?.