A philosopher writes:
I hate calling attention to this creepazoid, but Leiter is at it again, and is attempting once again to smear W4.
I think it might be fun if you all decided to simply respond in kind. That is, ask your Atheist friends some questions and see whether Leiter's views fall within the "mainstream" of atheist philosophers. Maybe some questions like the following:
1) Did you think the collapse of the Soviet Union was unfortunate, politically and morally speaking?
2) Do you think that there is a noteworthy moral difference between heteronormative sexual morality and believing that homosexuals should be executed?
3) Do you believe there is a noteworthy moral difference between the Taliban and people who think it should be legal to voluntarily pray in public schools?
4) Do you think it is morally appropriate for a notable professional philosopher to personally attack graduate students and untenured faculty in a highly public and visible forum?
5) Do you think it is misogyny to acknowledge genetic differences between men and women?
6) Do you think it would have been a gross exaggeration to say that George W. Bush is a theocrat and/or a fascist who was planning to "imminently" reinstate the draft or "imminently" bomb Iran?
7) Do you think it would be a gross exaggeration to compare Bill O'Reilly with Joseph Goebbels?
8) Did the clips of Jeremiah Wright's sermons make you more favorably disposed towards Obama?
etc. etc. etc.
Good questions, though we loyal Leiter Reports readers already know the answers. But here’s another one for Big Bri himself: If W4 is so “marginal,” how come you simply can’t shut up about it?
Sounds like a nasty case of obsessive-compulsive disorder. The key thing is not to give in to the urges, though if history is any guide we’ll see another lapse within a day or two, followed by occasional spasms over the next few weeks and months. But don’t get discouraged, Brian. You can beat this thing. We’re all pulling for you!